Dauntless is a Monster Hunter-style game coming to the PC in 2018. It is currently in closed beta and the mechanics are still changing. I am writing this quick guide to inform other Strats members who just entered beta testing on how the game currently works.
There are five weapons in Dauntless:
- Chain blades
- War pike
There are three damage types in Dauntless:
- Slashing (sword, axe, chain blades) is best for cutting behemoth parts
- Blunt (hammer) is best for staggering (knocking down) behemoths so you can freely hit it
- Piercing (war pike) applies wounds which increases damage dealt to specific behemoth parts
Damage is displayed in-game by color when hitting a behemoth:
- Yellow is damage dealt to a behemoth part and counts toward cutting that part off the monster
- Blue is stagger damage, generally dealt to a head or leg, and counts toward knocking down/staggering
- Red is wound damage and is applied to a specific part. The part will have lines radiating from it once it is fully wounded.
- Grey is general damage which is not applied to a specific part, usually to the behemoth’s torso.
Sometimes you will see 2 numbers when you hit a monster. For example, when swinging a hammer and hitting a behemoth’s head you will see both a blue and a yellow number.