A good interview

ps4
destiny

Destiny’s Director of Production and Lead Concept Artist, talk about Raids, Level Cap, and why they made some of the decisions they made. Good read for the curious.

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and read it thoroughly. A lot of what they discussed seemed compelling, except one thing.

I still disagree with their position on Raids. Finding players to run Raids with should be supported in-game. With the right set of tools for finding a group it would be socially engaging in all the ways they’d like it to be. Access to player data uniquely positions Bungie to provide the most comprehensive information about which players are best suited to Raid together. I don’t necessarily think it should be automatic, as in multi-player matchmaking for Crucible. I just think they have all the tools at their disposal to help players make informed decisions about who to join. It could be a great way to help players make new friends too. Resorting to third-party websites to find Raid partners is not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s far from ideal. None the less I hope Strats can serve as a good place to find a Raid party. Although, I suspect Bungie will eventually implement a system for Raid matching.

I dunno, Guild Wars 2 survived just fine using 3rd party websites as a group finder, but as it’s a PC game, it’s a bit different; there’s no guarantee everyone with a console will have a computer or want to use the consoles’ browsers to navigate to a similar site.

That said, if they did implement something, I wouldn’t want it to factor in stats and “match me” with people it thinks I’m well suited for. I feel like if it did, that’d be the constant bitch of the community.

“It matched me with a bunch of n00bs, it’s broken!”
“I can’t ever get a group because there aren’t enough people at my 1337 skill level!”
"Why can’t I pick my own raid partners?!"
etc.

I like the fact that there is no "Raid Finder"
I don’t think 3rd party websites will be necessary, I think they will exist, but I don’t think they will be a necessity.

He mentioned that he could foresee people gathering in the tower trying to gather up a group to raid. I don’t think it will be that hard to get 6 people together, even if you don’t have any people already, but I expect most players will already have at least 1 or 2 friends they play with.

With MMOs I’ve played, the “Looking For Group” feature has been successful. An LFG system was never the go-to method of putting a premade together, it was just a supplementary tool for people who’ve run out of options using their friend-list, guild-list and of course global chat. It saves time and I think every gamer can appreciate that gaming time is often limited.

Something like this for Destiny would allow players to advertise their party, what classes they were looking for and a bit of info about what they were doing (ie, “xyz raid” exp-run lvl 25+ only). The party leader could inspect profiles of anyone applying to join their party, check for proper gear and possibly even see the experience/success rate applicants have had with past raid attempts. Those metrics could easily evolve over time, so if someone had recent success it would overshadow their past failures.

As Auth pointed out, something like this could be especially helpful to players on consoles who’s only other option is to go googling for websites.

In the end, people who don’t need it or just don’t wanna use it don’t have to. So long as it’s totally optional there’s nothing to complain about. If you already have 5 buddies to raid with… you just get started.

If you’re alone or you have half a raid but you need another 2 or 3 players, it would be really nice to get some integrated help. It’s difficult to see why Bungie disagrees with that, beyond the fact that it would be yet another “system” to build into their already massive game. This is why I’m hoping that they open up to compromising on this idea down the road when they’re not so crunched for time.

This is the bit I’m a bit cautious over and what my previous comments were referencing with regards to metrics. A system that allows that much in-depth analysis of other players leads to hugely-exclusionary gameplay. A single failure, especially if it’s your first, would give you a 0% success rating. The average player is not likely to go through everything with a fine-tooth comb.

“Someone with a less than 50% success rate? He’s not bringing down my group.”
“This guy isn’t as geared as the rest of us; he’ll just hold us back.”
“This dude’s k/d isn’t good enough for my taste.”

TL;DR:
LFG function: yes, absolutely yes. Metrics: nope, not even a little bit.

Giving a queue and wait option opens raiding up to people who aren’t committed, at the first sign that it’s going to be a rough run they bail. If they have to put effort into putting a group together, they will be more likely to try and work out the problems in a rough run rather than bail and try to find a new one.

I’ve played a lot of Gears of War and Halo firefights. Both of those had matchmaking options which were generally OK when you had a private room and your buddies were some majority of the players. But if you only had four and you needed six, it was a real pain to get past a certain level of Horde Mode with new, strange players. And yes, they do drop out early, or when your gang starts cracking jokes or getting tired - and most often when there’s lag, these folks bolt the room. So I’m siding with Bungie on this. If you really want to do a raid, then take the time and get two fireteams of friends together. If you can’t do that much in real life by yourself, maybe raids are not for you.