Albion Online: Farming (Stress Test and what will change till Beta)

albiononline

Hello,

i thought i make a post about what i learned reading the albion forums after i noticed how much the farming changed from the last alpha to the stress test that just ended.

First a look at what the islands cost now since you need one to start farming:

Player Islands

1. $2,500 1 Building plot
  2. $7,500 1 Building plot 1 farm plot
  3. $25,000 2 Building plots 1 farm plot
  4. $75,000 2 Building plots 1 farm plot
  5. $250,000 3 Building Plots 1 farm plot
  6. $500,000 2 Building Plots 1 farm plot

$860,000 Total

The sweet spot is Rank 4, $110,000 invested for 3 plots.

Just fyi the same for guild islands:

Guild Island

$10,000 4 building plots
$50,000 3 building plots, 2 small building plots, & 1 guild marketplace
$250,000 3 building plots
$1,500,000 3 building plots
$5,000,000 4 building plots & 1 guild arena
$10,000,000 4 building plots

$16,810,000 Total

So you need 10k silver to start farming, giving you a island with 1 farming plot.
Now you start with carrots and as some of you noticed the grow time increads a lot!

Let’s take a look at the timer for every tier:

T1: 22h
T2: 1d 22h
T3: 2d 22h
T4: 3d 22h
T5: 4d 22h
T6: 5d 22h
T7: 6d 22h
T8: 7d 22h

22h for carrots! 1d 22h for beans!!! and so on. That made me search the forums about the intention behind these changes and i found the following posts:

A quote from Monochrome (Game Designer at SI)

I’m in the middle of completely reworking a lot of the numbers right now :slight_smile:

Broadly speaking we are currently balancing farming on the assumption that people will be doing it as a supplementary rather than primary activity, ie they’ll be doing whatever else plus farming. The 22h timers, for example, are there to accommodate this: they allow you to check in with your farm once a day and do all the maintenance you need, without having to log in more regularly or figure out how to optimize your plants to match your play schedule.

The overall goal of a lot of the balance changes/additions for this release is to make choice between crops less obvious. All the foods are intended to have useful buffs, the favorite food system should guarantee a demand for all meal types for building upkeep, we’ve unified nutrition/hour and fame/hour across the board, and right now I’m making some changes to make all timers 22/44h base (the latter for animals because premium halves grow times for them) and remove the residual tiering in meals so each of the three steps of each meal type have roughly similar costs between different meals of the same step (ie the T8 sandwich will cost about the same in nutrition points as the T5 soup).

A quote from Korn (Forum Admin at SI)

Hi all,

in addition to the posts made above, let me share the philosophy behind the farming redesign

Main Goal: Establish farming as a long term, sustainable, game-relevant activity driven by supply and demand

What does this mean in detail? In general, it means that emulating games such as Farmville will not work. In detail:

1. No Simple Progression

In the previous version of Albion Online, but also in most “farming games”, there is a simple food progression, meaning that you will level up the food you can create and it will be strictly better and more powerful than the lower level stuff. For Albion, we believe that this does not make sense. What would happen is that a few months into the game, only the highest level would - i.e. the food that offers the highest return of nutrition per time/money investment, would be created and the entire world would probably feed on steaks or whatever the highest level food is at the time. While this might work for a single player progression game like farmville, it does not work well in player driven economies.

In order to address this, we have set the nutrition points per time investement at a constant rate for all foods. However, by establishing a “favourite food” feature, we have made sure that for each sub-class of food, there is always as specific demand. (i.e. the T4 Mage Tower might prefer carrot soup, whereas the T6 Smith wants to eat steak).

1. Establishing Consumables as a significant food sink

We have compeletely reworked the role of food as consumables. Consuming food now provides you with useful long term buff that generally help out your character. There is low, mid and high level consumables, where the effect per level gets somewhat stronger, but the nutrition point per level increases exponentially. For example, there is a food that increases your out of combat HP regeneration by 100% on the lowest level. The highest level version increases it by 300%, but requires 10 times as much nutrition points to make. Depending on the buff type and food type, this logic should create a nice supply and demand balance for the different food types, each food type being associated with different types of long term buffs.

1. Create a dynamic market environment

Due to 1) and 2) above, due to the overall market situation, supply and demand, a farmer will have to constantly evaluate what type of food he needs to plant and what type of meal he needs to create for optimium profit and efficiency. It should never get dull. (as opposed to unlocking the super food after 3 months and from then onwards only planting that, as it has the best return)

1. Make farming accessible and disourage botting

Grow times for food will be universally set to 22 hours. This means that you can maintain close to optimum farming rates if you attend to your farm once per day. This also means that bots will not be able to get the better of you, which would be the case if we had, for example, 1 hour grow times.

1. Balance by farming space and playtime and not by silver

In the past versions of the game, farming was limited significantly through its high silver requirements. In essence, this meant that supplying a territory or building with food was almost the same as paying silver for it, but in disguise. Silver still plays a role for farming, but rather in terms of “cost of capital” for the initial seed investment as opposed to variable cost per plant. As farming space is limited to the open world and sufficiently upgraded and maintained player islands, it will still be profitable, the price floor is just going to be different. Impact on profit margins for the farmers is essentially 0, as any silver costs would have been passed on to the consumer anyways.

All the best,
Korn

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/20594-Why-farming-gardening-and-livestock-timers-need-to-change/

That’s the Post where i got these quotes from.

While i think 22h/44h is a bit much, i now at least understand their intentions and we’ll see how it will play out in the beta.

Cheers

Calibian

Edit:

Here is a newspost explaining the buffs from food and potoins:

https://albiononline.com/en/news/consumables-overhaul

I do agree with the reasons provided. Previously, once you quickly skilled beyond carrots there was no reason to return to carrots. Carrots were relevant for about 20 minutes.

I like that everything has its own type of buff associated with it now. I feel like this game has made lots of improvements since the summer.

yeah, there are some good reason for the changes but as an epic founder without a mount from day one i think it will take a long time to get one either raised by myself or bought and thus i feel a little bit forced to pay the extra 50$ just not to fall behind to much.

i think there wont be the “bag bug” in the beta but these 2 days made me painfully aware how much you need it to make the gathering grind a little less grindy. that wont matter after the first week but i don’t like it.

Another thing i learned and forgot to mention is that harvesting 9 carrot patches gave me the 1200 fame needed for t2 so i could have started with beans and chickens if i have had the 25k silver for the island upgrade. :slight_smile:

Just for fun I didn’t bother to claim my mount this time and instead played for maybe 2 hours total on foot. In that time I unlocked all the initial crafting and gathering tiers and unlocked Light Warrior/Mage Tower Fighter/whatever it’s called now.

I spent some of the time running around town collecting the T2 materials. I think a lot of people don’t realize there are a few nodes in the starting town. Then I went to the first zone, killing things and gathering til I was loaded up to about 180% weight then wobbled back to town.

It’s not such a terrible thing. The walk is quite relaxing. And hopefully some guild folk will be raising mounts anyway.

i was talking about the t2-t4 grind. will be a lot of slow walks to t4 :wink: my point is not that i have to invest time to gather for my crafting advancement. i just think the advantage you get from the mounts in the first week is much greater than before.

That said, it’s not a big deal, i still love to play albion and i can’t wait for the beta to begin. :slight_smile:

I’m in the camp of “yay farming isn’t super-tedious or a massive time sink” with these changes. It was brutal trying to coordinate managing it. With this change and the adjustment they (finally) made to the buildings eating food I think it’s going to allow folks to go out and do more rather than a few dedicated members getting stuck micromanaging the farming and feeding buildings like it was the first half of the Summer alpha.

Yeah I really like that change, the struggle to keep the territories fed was quite a drag during Alpha.

Regarding mounts, it will be a drag for the first 1-2 weeks for people that gather a lot, thats true. On the other hand they should become affordable soon enough and with the changes we should be able to produce a lot more mounts than last time :smile:

Not having one during the first 1-2 days will be an enormous disatvantage tough, seeing as you will want to gather in remote locations to have full nodes.

This is the main thing for me. Farming will be a once-a-day thing. Either work your fields as soon as you log in or before you log out for the night. No worries of corn coming up in an hour, need someone to harvest so we can quickly plant more.