Asus ROG Swift 34" @ $750

Well, just picked this guy up @ $750. Time to make me a new build too!

2 Likes

Welcome to the 21:9 club sir! :fist:

2 Likes

Welcome, sir; bask in the glory.

1 Like

I’ve been dieing to get a new monitor. Really want a 1440p 144hz gaming monitor. Although I like my ultrawide at work, I’m not looking to got he ultrawide route at home. So hard to find one that is actually good for gaming without playing the ol’ panel lottery.

Enjoy your new monitor though, that looks fantastic!

1 Like

I feel like the panel lottery isn’t so much a concern anymore now that there are some TN options out, it just depends on how deep your wallet goes. I like the productivity bonuses of 21:9, and gaming in 21:9 is something I cannot go back from; that shit is too good.

1 Like

I am pretty worried, it’s an ips panel. But we’ll see, been saving for about 2 years so here soon I’m about to drop the rest of my wallet on this.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $484.99 @ B&H
Motherboard Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $412.39 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $320.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $539.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - IronWolf Pro 14 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $519.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $1279.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake - Core P5 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $149.89
Power Supply Asus - 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $308.00 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition (5 Fan Pack) 48.34 CFM 120 mm Fans $139.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus - ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor Purchased For $749.99
Custom Thermaltake CORE P5 PCI-Express 16X 3.0 Shielded Black Riser Flexible Extension Cable Purchased For $19.99
Custom Thermaltake TT Sync SATA Powered 9 Port Addressable LED Controller TT Premium Edition (Compatible with ASUS Aura Sync, GIGABYTE RGB Fusion and MSI Mystic Light Sync) CL-O015-PL00BL-A $16.99 @ Amazon
Custom EK-Velocity RGB - Nickel + Plexi CPU Block $99.99
Custom EK-Vector Strix RTX 2080 Ti RGB - Nickel + Plexi GPU Block $174.98
Custom Bykski Distro Plate - Thermaltake Core P5 - PMMA w/ 5v Addressable RGB (RBW) (RGV-TT-P5) $249.99
Custom EK-CoolStream SE 480 (Slim Quad Rad) $89.99
Custom EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 1000mm (2pcs) 2X (4000mm) @ $16.99 $33.98
Custom EK-HDC Fitting 16mm - Black (6-pack) 2X @ $43.99 $87.96
Custom EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 - Black 2X @ $7.99 $15.98
Custom EK-AF Angled 90° G1/4 Black 2X @ $8.99 $17.98
Custom EK-AF Extender 12mm M-M G1/4 - Black $3.99
Custom EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black $16.99
Custom EK-AF Extender 12mm F-F G1/4 - Black $2.99
Custom EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 with EK-Badge - Nickel 2X @ $4.99 $9.98
Custom Core P5 Tempered Glass Upgrade Kit $129.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $5977.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 07:33 EDT-0400
0 Likes

At that price you might as well throw a sound card in there too.

2 Likes

You guys and your sound cards.

So, what does a sound card bring to the table these days that the mobo cannot?

0 Likes

Being not on the mobo, generally. For most users it’s a negligible difference (if any). If you plan to listen to high fidelity audio through speakers or headphones that can accurately reproduce it, then you’ve got a use case, but outside of that, I feel like it’s just not worth the added cost.

Speaking to cost, you could probably save some bones now and long term by stepping down from the 1200 watt unless you’re planning for future upgrades that will need it. Just being 1200 watt means it will draw more power from the wall, so unless you’re using it, it’s just turning that electricity into heat; that rig as it is definitely doesn’t need that beefy power supply.

Also, FWIW, my IPS 21:9 has a decent bleed in the lower left (there’s some in all 4 of my corners, but not near as bad as the bottom left), but unless I turn out the lights and have a lot of dark colors down there, I don’t notice it (have never seen it without actually looking for it).

0 Likes

I am dead. Or would be if I dropped anywhere near that much on a rig. She’s barely okay with me spending $1500 CAD.

1 Like

I’m about to be.
And that monitor is going right the hell back to Amazon

0 Likes

Honestly, you’re not going to get a bleed-less 21:9 IPS. The profile on that one matches pretty well what mine is, and I honestly don’t even notice it. A black screen in a dark room is a good reference point, but it’s hardly indicative of actual UX. That said, I always have lights on in the room because my eyes would get instantly strained if I turned them off; if you’re planning to play in a dark room, that’s maybe a different situation, but even still, it’s going to bleed.

My monitor, for reference:

1 Like

Thanks man, that does make me feel better. I’ve already boxed it back up though and started the refund process.
Even still, what monitor are you using? How are the blacks in really dark games or media?

0 Likes

Acer X34(P?) Predator; no complaints at all after using it exclusively for well over a year. I’ve never felt like my blacks weren’t black enough. Been playing a lot of GTAO recently and it’s mindblowing coming from PS4.

1 Like

So say you’re out in the sticks during night time in gtao, you don’t notice the bleeding?

0 Likes

Nope, I play on ultra/v-high across the board (1080 Ti) and don’t notice it at all. Again, I play with lights on in the room, I’ll try it tonight with the lights off for a bit and see if I can see it, but I’ve legitimately never noticed the bleeding other than actively looking for it with a black screen. When I was researching the light bleed, I found a lot of similar examples to what I gave, a handful that were better, and a handful that were worse. I’m somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of light bleed, I think.

1 Like

Thanks man, let me know.

0 Likes

@Wheatception

This is why, if I could do it again, I’d get a VA panel rather than IPS. I’ll look when I get home, but I’m pretty sure Acer makes one (3440x1440 35" VA).

Also, I’d probably advise against going super high end Intel with Ryzen 3000 just around the corner. Should easily be able to get more performance for less $$ with that. The 3700X will be 8c8t with higher clock and better IPC for $399, unless what’s been reported is WAYYY off.

2 Likes

OK, if I look right along the edges of my monitor where the light bleed is the worst (right along the bezel in the corners) I can see it when looking for it out in the boonies at night; if I’m not looking for it (I forgot to for a good 2 hours of play tonight) I don’t see it during normal gameplay/UX.

To me, it’s kind of like forgetting your nose is visible (and takes up a surprising amount of your vision): when you think about it and look, you’ll see it, but you can go for huge periods of time not thinking about it and thus not noticing it. If you’re super-worried about light bleed, your only real option is a VA panel (i.e., the Z35P).

1 Like

I can attest to the fact that in 99% of situations I don’t notice. Would still go for the Z35P if I could do it all over again though. Only benefit IPS has over VA is better color accuracy and a bit brighter. VA has better contrast, response, etc…

1 Like