BS - Business Information Systems

It is my understanding that in the tech field experience is king over formal education. With that being said, I have the opportunity to go back to school and get a degree. I like the BIS degree because it seems very broad and hits on quite a few areas of interest for me. It is also available via a well respected university local to me and I would drop in as a Junior.

I’m curious what you guys think about said degree. Keep in mind I’m not necessarily looking for future employability, just over all thoughts on the degree.

Is this a career making move or a i want to study something scenario. Because my advice can vary depending on what you plan on doing with it.

Really it is more of a study something scenario. Looking at the upper divisional classes it seems to really touch on quite a few areas I would like to expand my knowledge on. The degree would also reinforce some of the skills that I have quite a bit of experience in.

On the other side of the argument, it is a rather large time investment if the degree has no value for potential career opportunities, whether I choose to take advantage of it or not.

It’s a good idea. Right now there’s a gap that is not being filled in organizations. Coders want to code, biz folks want to biz. There’s nobody whose job is to be in the middle, and that’s why projects by coders that are supposed to serve the business keep failing. It would be excellent to have such people who understand a bit of both so everything doesn’t get explained too simply. People need a decent amount of sophistication in systems, but business people never have the time away from their functional job. Etc. Find a decent company and then with this education and you’re set. You must have patience - but building bridges is necessary. There used to be a job Programmer/Analyst, now nobody wants to be that. Your ultimate career track with this would be to become a technical project manager. Possible big bucks, and irreplaceable.

@sixoseven thanks for the feedback. I am wrapping up a 20 year career in the military. I have done many things over this time, from law enforcement to sales and marketing. I am not sure what my next move will be from here, but I have “earned” some educational benefits that I do not want to go to waste. I feel like my last tour was more about solving problems and bridging communication gaps, this might be just what the doctor ordered.