Building a new rig - looking for comments/critiques

I’m looking to do a simple yet pretty powerful gaming rig. I don’t need any storage media at this time, I’ll be salvaging an SSD from my current rig, but may pick up another one in the future. If you feel I’m missing something or would benefit more from a different part, please let me know. Keep in mind that I’m upgrading from a rig that’s like 6 years old. Also, I don’t have too many brand loyalties other than intel>AMD…and maybe nvidia>AMD too. Thanks in advance for your help!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $399.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $103.97 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $249.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $309.99 @ Micro Center
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1403.91
Mail-in rebates -$55.00
Total $1348.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-14 11:53 EST-0500

Hey @dontcallmejames how is it going?

The first thing i noticed is that you are missing some damn good 7.1 Headset haha.
Other than that i would go for 16gb ram and maybe a higher GPU. It all depends on your budget. Besides that you have a really good setup.

I’d get the GTX 980 ti just for the 6GB of VRAM.
Apart from that, I like it!

I have that covered. Astro A50’s.

I have a 2x8gb in there for a total of 16gb.

Believe me, I really want to…it’s a budget thing at this point. The 970 will be a huge upgrade from the 750ti i’m using now.

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry i missed the 16GB.

How about monitor? What are you using? Forgot about that.

Also why not wait a bit for 980? What about AMD GPU?
There some on sale right now on amazon.

Just take your time, dont rush it.

I would do one of two things:

1. If you want a brand new GPU now that will last you, go with the AMD R9 390. In the long term the additional VRAM will serve you much better.

2. If you can suffer with your 750ti until August-ish, nVidia Pascal will be coming out and will have HBM2, which will be the new standard, rather than GDDR5.

Also, if you are only using it for gaming, you can probably jump down to the i5-6600K (I think that’s what it is) and spend the extra getting the R9 390X or something.

I would say it’s primarily a gaming rig, but it is going to be my main computer. I do plan on streaming more, but I’ll have my current computer to work with as a streaming rig. (I could probably build another streaming rig just from the 5 or 6 computer carcasses I have laying around the house). I’ve thought about downgrading to i5, and I’m still thinking about it. I might have to consider it. I’ll be losing some threads, but if it’s just for gaming, that won’t affect me as much.

my current system is an i5 and was built with the same mindset 5 years ago. but at that time, I didn’t plan on single-box streaming.

I haven’t really been a big fan of AMD gpus in the past. But I will look more into it.

I’ll have to read up more on Pascal too.

Yeah, i7 would definitely be better if you’re streaming as well.

The GTX 970 and the R9 390 have almost identical performance, but one has 4GB VRAM, and the other 8GB. I tend to go with nVidia cards as well, but in this case I’d definitely go with the R9 390 if I don’t want to upgrade in the next two years.

After doing a bit more reading, HBM2 may only be on the top tier cards, and not on the 1070 (or whatever it may be called) and lower. No one knows for sure yet.

ARRRRrrrggggg, I just want a rig that can push 4k across 3 monitors at or above 60fps.