Call of Duty Live Tweeted a Fake Terrorist Attack

So I missed this news (it was about 5 days ago) and I found this funny as hell. How dumb can you seriously be? No one ever thought that “hey, we have millions of followers, if those people retweet this, their followers probably won’t know it cam from a video game” (at the time of the tweet their name was “Current Events Agg.”) . lol They changed their name and everything. lol I found this so messed up and I can’t stop laughing about it…mainly because how short sighted people can be.

Activision posted a series of tweets on Tuesday suggesting it was live reporting a terrorist attack.

The series of messages, which were fictional but not marked as such, sets up the framework of events to feature in upcoming shooter Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Shared via the official Call of Duty Twitter account, the posts began with reports of an explosion in Marina Bay, Singapore.

The source of the explosion is reported to be at Coalescence Corporation, a fictional company that was featured in the Call of Duty: Black Ops III “Ember” teaser. The tweets went on to state that Singapore Authorities had announced an official state of emergency, and declared martial law. The final post in the series of tweets read, “This was a glimpse into the future fiction of #BlackOps3.”

The tweets confirmed a character named James Chung will be tied to the game in some way as commander of the Singapore Armed Forces. A second Twitter account titled “TheUnMarkedMan” posted conspiracy-theory style speculation in response to the tweets, further teasing story elements in the upcoming shooter.

The social media campaign has been met with some criticism, as the posts could have incited unwarranted panic. Others have criticised the campaign to be in poor taste.

When approached by GameSpot, Activision declined to comment.

At the time of posting the series of fictional reports of the attack in
Singapore, the Call of Duty Twitter account had changed its profile
picture, name, and profile description to resemble that of a real world
news outlet, as seen in the screenshot on the right.

I’m assuming the media backlash is exactly what they were hoping for. Here we are talking about Call of Duty.

But have you SEEN Overwatch/Battlefront/Battleborn/Battletoads/Battletech/Battlebattle.

The only true hype to be experienced.

lol. Very true.

This just in: ATVI plummets to a 2-year low in the wake of majority shareholder’s blasphemy; more on this and all the latest developments tonight at 9pm. :wink:

I didn’t even know there was a show on twitch every monday, what a noob. I will be there to watch!

That is the worst idea I have heard today. They really should be in some sort of trouble for this. I mean I look at it like this. Local Police stations use social media to get the word out to citizens.

So true. I doubt anything will happen. It’s like how twitter allows the terrorists to even have a twitter account.

[The War of the Worlds]( Read the public reaction part. This is just silly

Omg, I forgot about that. I remember hearing that story when the movie came out. Unreal. I though I heard people were jumping off buildings but maybe I missed that in the wiki.

The Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast covers it pretty well. I’d trust those girls over wiki too. Actually, I love their podcast and recomend a binge listen.

Man you really win at internet. lol

The public reaction to War of the Worlds was in a completely different time, though. It was broadcast over radio. There was no way to quickly confirm nor dismiss what was going on. I’m not sure if I would call it “silly”.

Yea it was a different time, and I think both are effed up. We hear about terrorist attacks regularly today and to say there was on in Singapore is just completely irresponsible. At least the radio broadcast was about aliens. lol

I like how I saw Battletoads in there and literally said the same thing in my head, then scrolled down and you posted it right after lmao