Changes to Twitch Prime

Do you currently use Twitch Prime (or have Amazon Prime & didn’t know about Twitch Prime)? Well, get prepared for changes downgrades to the service.

The first change downgrade is ad-free viewing. When Twitch Prime was introduced, it replaced much of what Twitch was already offering with Twitch Turbo - a paid monthly subscription service. One of the best benefits of this was ad-free viewing across the platform.

Well… beginning on September 14 all new Twitch Prime users (technically new Amazon Prime users, but for clarity I’ll just refer to the service as Twitch Prime moving forward) will lose this benefit. The next to lose ad-free viewing will be monthly subscribers of Twitch Prime on October 15. And the last to lose ad-free viewing will be annual Twitch Prime subscribers, who will lose the benefit when their plan renews.

So what if you still want ad-free viewing, is that possible? It sure is - just get yourself a subscription to Twitch Turbo. Alternatively, channel-specific ad-free viewing will still be available as part of your monthly Prime sub (make sure you use it - if you don’t, I know a bunch of Strategists who’d love to have your FREE sub) where the channel has that feature turned on.

The second change downgrade isn’t as clearly communicated, and this may have more to do with regional benefits than anything else. Included in the email update that I received, was this little nugget on the removal of the pre-order discount:

Second, beginning on August 28th, 2018, Prime members will no longer receive a 10% discount on physical video game pre-orders. All eligible pre-orders placed before August 28th, will still receive the 10% discount under the existing benefit once the game is released.

What originally started as a 20% discount (at least here in Canada), dropped to 10%, and will now go the way of the Dodo. This leaves us with Amazon’s pre-order price guarantee which is available to everyone, regardless of Prime status.

So… how does this make you all feel?

What do you think about the changes to Twitch Prime?

Just posted a few of my thoughts on Twitter:

When we launched Twitch Prime we were determined to give streamers and their viewers the best value in gaming. And since then we’ve seen the Twitch community take advantage of Twitch Prime perks like monthly channel subscriptions to support favorite streamers, Free Games with Prime, and in-game loot for games like Fortnite, PUBG, Hearthstone, and more. On top of everything you get through Amazon Prime, this year alone we’ve offered members more than $1,000 worth of games and loot.

As we have continued to add value to Twitch Prime, we have also re-evaluated some of the existing Prime benefits. As a result, we are announcing two changes.

First, universal ad-free viewing will no longer be part of Twitch Prime for new members, starting on September 14. Members with monthly subscriptions will continue to get ad-free viewing until October 15. If you already have an annual subscription, or if you upgrade to an annual subscription before September 14, you will continue with ad-free viewing until your next renewal date.

Advertising is an important source of support for the creators who make Twitch possible. This change will strengthen and expand that advertising opportunity for creators so they can get more support from their viewers for doing what they love. You can read more details on this change in our recent blog post.

Second, starting on August 28, Prime members will now get a $10 Amazon credit when pre-ordering select games on Amazon.com. This credit can be used on almost anything sold by Amazon.com. This new pre-order benefit is replacing the current discount on physical game pre-orders. All eligible pre-orders placed before August 28 will still receive the 20% discount under the existing benefit once the game is released. For more information and restrictions on this new Prime benefit, click right here.

All other Twitch Prime benefits, like monthly channel subs, monthly games and loot, and chat badges are not changing. You can still get channel-specific ad-free viewing as part of Twitch Prime by using your monthly subscription token on a channel that has ad-free viewing for subscribers turned on. Plus, all Twitch viewers can get ad-free viewing across all channels by subscribing to Twitch Turbo. And with your Twitch Prime membership you can still take advantage of all the other Amazon Prime benefits, like free two-day shipping and access to Prime Video and Prime Music*.

Thank you for being a Twitch Prime member. We look forward to bringing you even more amazing loot, games, and benefits over the coming year.

Twitch has always been trash in my opinion. The fact that they’re adding adverts back in to a paid service is no surprise.

This is the question I keep asking myself - are they? Twitch Turbo, which never actually went away when Twitch Prime came to be, still gets you the ad-free experience. Essentially all they are doing is reducing the value-add of the Twitch Prime sub (which in turn is a value add itself of Amazon Prime).

I’m not surprised by the advertising change. It’s very difficult to break even without ad support, especially on the current market of increasingly higher CPMs for video. Twitch has been trying to shift to a mobile-first strategy for a few years now. The ad revenue they would see on their mobile app with ads would easily out-pace monthly subscriptions.

Supporting the ad free model also becomes difficult when creators themselves are doing a lot of branded content deals. If you’re paying for an ad free experience and the creator is still doing spoken ad spots or has overlays for this and that on their stream, you are still seeing ads it’s just that Amazon isn’t getting paid.

Shifting the ad-free channel mode further onto a more creator-specific upsell makes more sense than the blanket Twitch Prime subscription. This way you’re choosing to see the creator’s ads.

Gosh darn it - I’m guessing we’re not getting this benefit via Amazon.ca, which in turn explains the point in the email I received about the loss of the pre-order discount.

I’m sorry my Canadian brother. :canada:

I’m viewing this as a positive. Maybe it will start the move to a better streaming platform… Twitch’s UI and features are pretty sad.

In a somwhat related note… It looks like Valve is releasing a new streaming platform called “Steam.tv”. That might be a VERY attractive alternative for a lot of gamers…

Do the Streamers get a slice of that ad revenue pie?
I could see it being a much better system for the streamers seeing as how anyone who just “Follows” them and has twitch prime is not generating any money for the streamer, simply enjoying free content.

If the viewer has to watch an ad, but the streamer gets paid for all viewers, even those that are not subscribers, I think that’s a good change.

This is just reinforcing my decision to drop amazon prime after they hiked prices this year.

When Twitch Prime was first announced, one of the selling points was that streamers would still get paid as though we were viewing ads. So either Amazon was lying then, or they are lying now that Partners are not getting paid.