DDR3 2400MHz RAM VS. 1600MHz

So I’m looking to go from 8GB RAM to 32. I have two questions, can you use two 16GB packs of the same make together, and what is the difference between 2400MHz and 1600MHz. Also, PC Part picker is giving me a message saying

• The Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

So does this mean that ram just won’t work with my processor?

First of all, don’t get 2400MHz RAM for a gaming PC. In my opinion, the most important stat for gaming is CAS because MHz is overpriced. Though, you haven’t given enough information in your post to know which RAM is better.

If you really want to figure out what the best RAM is, use this equation:

2000 * (CAS / MHz) = Latency (ns)

So if we assume your 1600MHz has timings of 10-10-10 that would give it a latency of 12.5 ns. Choose the lowest number.

No, it just means it runs higher because it’s essentially overclocked.

I'm an idiot who just bought a new PC, please help
Ram recommendation?

Does your MB support 2400MHz ram? and what version of windows are you running? ive got home premium and it only supports 16GB but if you upgrade to win7 professional you can up that past 192GB so make sure your OS supports it.

If you play games that are CPU bound then faster ram can be VERY beneficial on a Haswell system. If you play a bunch of GPU bound games then you won’t see much of a difference.

Data in memory (if it is in memory) will benefit from a faster memory.
The problem is getting it in memory fast enough…(disk performance)…

I’m just wondering when did 32GB RAM become a thing? I thought 16GB was enough…

For gaming it definitely is.

its actually overkill if your not doing massive work in photo shop or a graphics editor program…but you can say you have a beast with 32gb. (as long as your supporting cast is equal)

Not to mention 2 8GB sticks will generally perform better than 4 8GB sticks, even though you’re only using ~16GB while playing a game.

I just ordered 32GB of the Corsair pro, it will be here tomorrow and ill tell you the difference between 8GB and 32GB then :smile:
It is 1600MHz though so that doesnt help you @Wheatums …lol

Oh well

Wait, I’m computer dumb. Rate my RAM?

According to speccy: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)

I get a pretty big number using your equation. x.x

Your RAM is likely 1600MHz but running at 800.