Dem Blizzard announcements

Blizzard wants my money again.

And they want a piece of that Team Fortress 2 pie.

Overwatch Time to sign up for that beta! As soon as the link starts working…

Any info on the genre?

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Story

The game is set on Earth, 60 years in the future
Robots became very common in the future and they went crazy, attacking cities all over the world. The war that resulted against the robots was the Omnic (?) Crisis.
The strike team that took on the robots was Overwatch.
For the next 30 years after the war, Overwatch was a worldwide agency that displayed how great people could be when they came together, representing heroism and sacrifice.
In the last few years, Overwatch started to fall apart.

Gameplay

Chris Metzen is only doing one voice in this game.
Blizzard has been making competitive PvP games for a long time and this will be yet another.
Overwatch will have some dark gritty areas, but it will mostly be a world you will want to come back to.
The game is all about heroes.
The game will be accessible with non-twitch options.
You can do things other than put a crosshair over targets, as that is what drives people away from other shooters.
The game is less-lethal. You will die, but you should die less frequently than in current modern military shooters. With more time alive, you are able to do more interesting things and interact with your team more.
The teams are going to be 6v6, which is just big enough to make it fun.
There are Payload and Capture Point maps, no deathmatch mode.
The game is focused on Heroes, not classes. Each hero has a unique story.
There are 12 playable characters at Blizzcon, with many more to come.
Tracer has a ~10 meter teleport / blink that uses energy. Enough energy to do 3 blinks in a row.
Tracer has Recall, which puts her back where she was 3 seconds ago. This also includes health, ammo, and energy.
Lots of the story is going to take place outside of the game, unlike previous Blizzard games.
Regenerate ult by doing and taking damage.

Hero Roles

Offense - Scout, harass, press the objective, high damage. (Pharah, Reaper, Tracer, Hanzo)
Defense - Guard locations, create choke points, establish a front. (Widowmaker, Bastion, Torbjorn)
Tank - Protectors, high survivability, disruption, lead the charge, have armor to reduce damage. (Reinhardt, Winston)
Support - Heal, buff, utility. (Zenyatta, Mercy, Symmetra) 

Maps and Game Modes

Exotic worldwide locations
Simple objectives
Encourage hero mobility
Team focus encounters
Temple of Anubis - At the base of a technological pyramid.
Hanamura - Temple grounds, homeland of Hanzo.
King's Row - 30 years ago there was a population of robots that lived below the streets. People were going to send an EMP underground to destroy them.
You can change to another hero every time you die.

Q&A

They aren't talking about the cost yet, so no idea if it will be free to play, a one time purchase, or something else.
There are elements of Titan in Overwatch, both were Earth based, there were some shared ideas, but it is different from Titan.
There is no customization to the gameplay. Initially there was a robust customization system, but there are too many heroes to keep track of all of the customization that can be done. Customization works in Heroes of the Storm because it is a slower paced game.
Overwatch will be on PC, consoles are something they can look at in the future.
It is too early to talk about system requirements, but they should be reasonable, just like other Blizzard games.
The game will be balanced so that two of a hero on a team will be okay, but more than that will likely put you at a disadvantage.
They aren't ready to talk about skins, leveling, or achievement systems yet, but they are all good ideas.
There is party chat and team chat, with party chat being your group that you queued with. The team is also working on VO and chat communication.
There will be some kind of long term progression in the game.

LoL I thought the tf2 comment was a joke…

Blizzard = guaranteed success at this point so looking forward to it.

A sad but true reality we live in.

Edit:
Finally watched the trailer, possibly the worst one they’ve put out in a long time. Will the game be good? Almost-assuredly, but the pseudo Starship Troopers presentation packaged around kids acting out their fantasy just…it hurt, man; it was so bad…I mean, how can you make that after making trailers like these?

Edit 2:
Welp, that’s 2 people so far that didn’t figure it out :wink:

I’m sorry but I couldn’t stand to watch the trailer for longer than 60 seconds. Seriously…what happened to the Blizzard I used to know and love? Oh yeah…they all moved on, and now we’re moved onto the new generation.

Sorry but I come from the OG Warcraft and SC days, and seriously every single trailer they’ve put up for a game gets me stoked and excited…I even was tempted to play WOD after seeing the trailer…but this? seriously?

I make no argument that the game will be good most likely, but the trailer just seems…so…not Blizzard.

I know those feels, bro.

Oh come on… I liked their recent trailer.

PLACE HOLDER

These feels are interesting, considering the project lead is Jeff Kaplan (Tigole, the original lead on Wowcraft), a guy that’s been around for more than a minute. After Titan fell (see what I did there) he came over to this new project.

Project lead =/= dude in charge of making the trailers.

Wish I could have passed the buck on my projects when something went wrong.

They need to make a New mmo

I mean, I’m fairly certain the advertising department was in charge of the spin/theme and it’d surprise me greatly if they answered solely to the project lead. I’m sure he and his staff oversaw the use of the heroes and screened it for accuracy/continuity, but I doubt they actually got overly into the weeds of making the thing.

He’ll be judged on the quality of the game, not the reveal trailer. I’ve already conceded the point that I think it’ll be pretty good (Blizzard hasn’t made a bad game yet, IMO) so I think it has little to do with your notion on “passing the buck.”

I enjoyed this one as well :wink:

Watching some of the videos it doesn’t look very complex and some of the classes look fun. This seems like a game that could appeal to a broad audience which it feels Blizzard wants to do now (Can you blame them?). Might be fun…I’m optimistic.

as a guy buying (receiving to the face?) WoD, I really wish that Blizzard would start being proactive rather than reactive developers.

Don’t bet me wrong, since Blizzard made this it will do amazingly well, even if watching that gameplay video made me wonder why they copy / pasted the code from the TF2 eng without changing much but a texture pack.

I hope I get to test out the beta. This looks promising