Destiny raid: PUG method. What worked after 6 hours of failure

ps4
destiny

We tried for 6 hours, with level 29’s and two 28’s. Many experienced players. Here is what I learned.

Rules of engagement. Based on 3 assumptions
a. Complexity causes wipes. (Also known as KISS)
b. No single member is strong enough to carry the team
c. Communication is not reliable. (People will communicate, but not always the right thing. This is a subset of A, but is important enough to make its own bullet point.)

Teleported Team:

1. Everyone who is teleported goes for the relic. No exceptions.
  • It doesn’t matter if you are a warlock, or if you have a gun that deals double damage to oracles. KISS. Everyone goes for it, and move on. Even if you suck with it, just follow the simple rules below.
  1. Relic holder:
    Jump. Groundslam. Kill.
    Once the enemy is dead, focus on continually cleansing the teleport team. Don’t ult the oracles. Don’t melee the oracles. Cleanse. You are more likely to wipe b/c someone didn’t get cleansed. No need to rush.
    When the oracles are dead, try to be the first to run through the portal and hold your cleanse bubble like a cheerleader tunnel welcoming the TP team home. You do not need to cleanse the team before they go through the gate. This buys you nothing.
    Make sure the purple haze above your teammates are gone. Then, and only then, focus on ulting Atheon. KISS. Don’t “run to the center and bubble” due to assumptions A, B, and C. As a PUG, we need your damage.

2. Teleported teammates: You missed the relic shield. Now, go and throw grenades at the enemy and unload your first magazine on the biggest enemy. Let the relic holder get the last hit. After your first mag, focus on the oracles and getting through the gate ASAP. Once you exit, dance at the portal until you are cleansed. Some would argue that you shouldn’t grenade the sniper guys. I disagree, since KISS. The snipers will put their shields up before the relic holder gets there.

Outside team:

1. Watch your radar when they teleport. If you see your teammates offscreen near the right portal, you need to activate the right portal. If they are offscreen near the back, you must activate the left portal. All else fails, just activate both.

2. Once a portal is open, you should leave the pillar. (No need to stand on it, like the earlier phases.) Jump on top of the portal so you can kill the enemy without dying. You must kill all enemies near the portal, or your teleport team will die. This is your biggest responsibility.

3. Don’t go beyond the portal unless you have a damn good reason. Most deaths occur in front of the portal b/c of not enough cover, and you are directly in the line of the supplicant pathing. Don’t do it.

That is it! After 6 hours of failing at Atheon, this methodology finally worked for us.

@Odin, thanks for this. I can tell you put some time into this. Great job taking us step-by-step. Not only is this information good for the Starts Destiny Clan, it helps the community as a whole. You my friend are a Strategist! :smirk:

Nice post! This is the Strat that everyone needs. :wink:

Great post @Odin

I’d like to discuss one point you made:

Before the “fix” I was the designated relic bitch for Team Bravo. I can say, with confidence, that the relic ground-pound kills the Hobgoblins in one hit on normal difficulty. In HM, having the Hobgoblins put their shields up to make for a safe approach is absolutely preferable, but on normal it can make a mess of things with Hobgoblins shielding at weird times and such. I don’t think KISS is overly-compromised by a team that discerns desert vs jungle on whether or not they throw a grenade, but maybe that’s just me.

Something else for consideration: a strong rocket launcher is vastly superior to a magazine of primary ammo if you have it available. Obviously after many wipes that’s not an option, but a solid hit from Gjallarhorn or any well-leveled void rocket launcher does freaking work on everything inside the portals :wink:

The dilemma lays with [quote=“Odin, post:1, topic:3400”]
Everyone who is teleported goes for the relic. No exceptions
[/quote]
I am trying to make the assumption that the worst player got the relic, and they will likely miss a pound or two. If they just graze the enemy, there is chaos. Also, if the goblins are spread and it takes two hits, making the goblins pop a shield early is great.

I also wiped more often due to a relic carrier death than a missed oracle, so I would like to help the carrier whenever possible.

With that being said, I didn’t carry the relic very often, and I never figured out if it was truly helpful or more of a hindrance.

Thoughts?

Also

[quote=“Auth, post:4, topic:3400”]
Something else for consideration: a strong rocket launcher is vastly superior to a magazine of primary ammo if you have it available. Obviously after many wipes that’s not an option, but a solid hit from Gjallarhorn or any well-leveled void rocket launcher does freaking work on everything inside the portals
[/quote] Wouldn’t that kill them? I thought you wanted the relic carrier to get the kills. (Not sure why…)

I think the real threat to the relic guardian is the damn minotaur in the jungle. Even with a skilled carrier there are a number of things that can go wrong; by all means dump hate into him.

Something I do when I’m on relic (which is every time I go back) is wait until first cleanse to go on adds, but that’s nor practical at all for standard PUG mentality. Since only 3 people go back, if you’ve got 1 or 2 really bad relic holders, you can always say “don’t touch it.” There will always be someone more capable sent back with them. This would be something that’d become apparent either by them saying “I am shite with the relic” or through a multitude of wipes; I think it’s a potentially-worthwhile adjustment in that instance, but not as standard doctrine.

Nope, makes no difference who gets the kills. In actuality, you don’t even have to kill them, but leaving them alive is impractical and nonsensical :wink: