Doom 4: Too Violent of a Game?

doom

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8833293/bethesda-had-the-perfect-answer-for-people-bothered-by-dooms-violence

Saw this article today about overly excessive violent games and this argument about “this is how it was, and we’re going to keep it that way, so fuck off if this isn’t the game for you.”

I don’t like this mentality of ignoring the audience that you don’t intend to sell to mentality because of directors, creators, and producers are tired of hearing people with opinions on the matter. We live in a day and age where everyone with half a brain cell can create an account on a social media platform and speak their thoughts, no matter how clear, uneducated, or insulting.

In one light, I get it. No one game is going to please everyone who picks up a controller. Would I expect the same person who plays Final Fantasy to pick up Doom 4 and be like “WHOA BAD ASS!” Absolutely not. But the indifference, and in some cases, the figurative “fuck off” seriously needs reconsidered.

For the record, I don’t care if Doom 4 is rated E because ponies and flowers, or if it’s given an M due to spinal evisceration and the like. My comment is directly related to the “shoulder shrug” given by the developer, and the author’s need to emphasize and point out that this approach is something positive.

Thoughts?

What do you want him to say? The developer or the author?

But they are not designing the game for you (the audience they don’t intend to sell to), so why should they listen to them? These game directors and producers have likely heard the arguments many times over the years. They know the type of game they want to make and they know the audience for which they want to design this game.

We’ve had a period of games catering to the masses and for the most part they’ve been highly successful (Blizzard for the past 10 years, mainly). There’s room for some niche games. If the game’s content doesn’t interest you, then don’t buy it. Same with a movie. If you’re not into horror movies, then don’t buy the ticket.

I do see this as a positive thing. They are willing to create a game that will appeal to a smaller audience. For many years after Wowcraft, the MMO trend was to copy that game. Many of those games flopped or struggled to take off as subscription-based titles, resorting to free-to-play. Now a few developers are trying to break the mold and going back to the PvP trend of the early 2000s.

It seems you are offended by id/Bethesda’s indifference. I see it as taking a chance in hopes that going against the norm will work out for them.

There’s nothing they could possibly say that would make any difference. It’s incredibly frustrating to be part of something that a huge number of people enjoy but a vocal minority aboslutely hate.

If you haven’t been in that situation, and likely not many people have, it’s hard to understand.

You realize very quickly that there is just no winning because there are emotions and agendas that go deeper than just hating on your product or work. So you adopt a shoulder shrug mentality.

Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.

I think it can be said video games, like movies and music, can be considered a form of art. At least that’s how I see it. With that in mind, censoring art based on someones personal beliefs is wrong. Unless a game is actually harming someone or causing pain and suffering then I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t exist. Just because I don’t like how some rap music can be extremely offensive to me doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. The same standard should be used for games.

I’m with Vocino on this one. There’s no way to argue this. So only response is to shrug it off or verbalize it by saying “I’m sorry they feel that way” and move on.

It’s kinda like reasoning with someone who believes in creationism, you can’t win no matter how much logic or fact is on your side.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empathy

Apparently it’s a rare trait to have in society these days. As for the personal beliefs reference, if you’re having a debate like that, wouldn’t you rather talk with someone who says, “Ah, I see what you’re saying, even though I don’t agree with you” as opposed to someone who says, “Why are you telling me how you feel? I don’t care to hear it at all.” I get it, no one asked these people who are speaking out to voice their opinion, and this is certainly NOT a mutual discussion by any stretch.

I’m not saying that they should change the game, nor change the overall support for the game in the article (which is what you all seem to be implying here). But there’s a huge difference between:

"Oh well. Deal with it.“
and
"I’m sorry you feel that way.”

Apparently, it’s just me though. I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

I’m personally glad to see game devs sticking to what they believe to be the correct path despite opposition.

I liken it to George R. R. Martin’s response to criticisms that he’s taking too long writing Game of Thrones. Video games are more and more starting to be respected as an art, and I wouldn’t expect an author like George R. R. Martin, a band like Metallica, a painter like van Gogh, or any other artist of any medium to pander to everyone. Rather, I expect them to stick to their visions (however blood-filled they are) and I don’t think they should have to be super-PC about it either; the people calling for a change are being just as (if not more) offensive for demanding artists change their art. That said, let the record show I think the whole world is getting a bit too PC, and not the #MASTERRACE kind :wink:

Personally, I would prefer the person be direct with me. I don’t want the other party to be rolling their eyes while I have my head buried in my face, bawling my eyes out because I just lost another game of Heroes.

Empathy is a nice trait to possess, but not when it’s faked because the person feels it’s “the right thing to do”.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement @Auth

It really bothers me how we seem to be expected to cater to everyone’s feelings…