Duel video cards (SLI)

So I’m considering a new computer build. I plan on keeping the one I just built running next to the new one, so I would be building from scratch. I’m just really not sure if I need to build it with two video cards. This new system would be for gaming, streaming, and video making. I would like to be able to add a nice camera and mic. I’m just wondering if I could cut costs by not doing duel video cards. Thanks for the assist in advance.

If you are gaming on a single monitor at 1080, you shouldn’t need SLI. Once you start getting into higher resolutions or multi-monitor setups, SLI can help performance.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing a little more research and it looks like I can always upgrade to the SLI, as long as I build the foundation right.

Here’s an oldish but good video that explains it all on dual cards (both SLI & Crossfire):

Let me know if you have any questions; I’m currently running 2 780GTX’s in SLI. It may sound like overkill; however, it’s needed to maintain ultra settings @120fps for a 120hz monitor. Primarily FPS games…like BF4 & Hardline.

That’s pretty serious business. What brand/model cards? What’s the rest of your setup?

Well, the rest of my system is a few years old…I plan on upgrading the CPU & monitor in the fall.

2600k @ 4.8ghz w/ Kuhler liquid cooler
16 GB Corsair Vengeance ram
Corsair AX850 PSU
2 EVGA 780GTX in SLI
HT Omega ecarlo sound card

Roccat Pro MK & Roccat Kone XTD
Samsung SA950 @ 120hz

It’s been a great system so far…especially for FPS games. I personally prefer Nvidia over ATI, mainly due to ATI’s lag in driver updates. Plus Nvidia G-sync is really impressive; synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU.