FOR HONOR! (a.k.a. "Time to practice my stabbin'! Ha-HA!)

uplay
xb1
pc
ps4

#FOR HONOR

##Overview

The sound of shouting and clashing metal fills the air. Fallen enemies and allies alike litter the battlefield. Every encounter is a brutal, tactical fight to the death. Kill or be killed. For Honor puts a blade in your hand like no game ever has before and sets you loose in a medieval battle. This is a game for everyone who grew up dreaming of knights and epic melee battles. Step into the boots of some of history’s fiercest combatants – the loyal Knights (the Legions), the fierce Vikings (the Warborn) and the brutally efficient Samurai (the Chosen).

Using the new Art of Battle system, you will have full control over the placement of their weapons. You can attack and move around just like you normally would, and then you can also lock onto a single opponent and enter into a dueling mode. The second you lock onto a target, your right stick goes from controlling your camera to controlling your stance. If you flick to the right with your stick, you move to hold your sword or shield on the right side.

You’ll need to pay close attention to how your opponent is telegraphing their moves because if you leave yourself open to a heavy attack, you could find yourself out of the fight very quickly. You can perform a guard break to throw your enemy off-balance and give yourself time to quickly switch your stance to attack them where they’re vulnerable. Vandenberghe tells us to loosely think about this loop in terms of a fighting game. If you attack someone while they are defending, the attack won’t hit. Defense beats attack. Guard break beats defense. Attack beats guard break. You’ll need to be on the lookout for any move your opponent makes.

It’s not just melee combat. It’s not just strategy. It’s not just any one thing. Rather, For Honor pulls inspiration from across the gaming board – fighting game combat systems mixed with some shooter reward loops and chaotic yet tactical battlefield scenarios.

##Single-player Campaign

Three legendary warrior factions – The noble Knights of the Iron Legion, the deadly Samurai of the Dawn Empire, and ferocious Vikings of the Warborn clans – are under threat from a mysterious and bloodthirsty warlord named Apollyon. Storm castles, defeat invading armies, and win epic duels as you battle for the survival of your people.

##Buy For Honor

I want to like it. and I want to buy it. but the last 2 rounds of beta weren’t that fun for me. the rounds before that, I had a blast. i’m going to have to think on this one a bit. the single player campaign might be enough to push me over the top.

Exactly what I’m thinking.

Didn’t this game not have a very good reception during beta?

I loved the gameplay, but the only thing available was the multiplayer, which was messed up during the closed beta. I Wouldn’t pay $60 for what I saw in beta. Still deciding if the campaign is enough to sway that, or if I’ll wait for a decent sale.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone who got this since release. I played the alpha and thought it had great potential but the beta opinions have kept me away.