Google Stadia is going beta free. 🤞

Eager to try Google Stadia out for yourself in your living room before you commit to a purchase later this year? Sadly, you won’t be able to. Phil Harrison, Google’s vice president and head of Stadia, confirmed as much in an interview with GamesRadar earlier today. That’s right, there’s no Google Stadia beta en route.

Of course, this is incredibly pertinent given that the Google Stadia experience could – in theory, at least – differ wildly from player to player, depending on a variety of external factors outside of Google’s control, from your broadband speed to the way your ISP handles high-bandwidth traffic during peak times. Some prospective users had the ability to try out Stadia for themselves last year, albeit unwittingly; Project Stream let players launch Assassin’s Creed Odysseyright from their browser window, accessing the new AAA experience on a high-end performance and graphical configuration regardless of the machine that you had in front of you.

So there’s that, I suppose. Seems like the tagret demographic (people who can’t or don’t want to spend money on a gaming PC) would like to see if what Google is peddling is worth the cost before paying in.

Or prevent the media from having an opportunity to review before people subscribe?

I was in Project Stream and it worked much better than I expected. I’m sure that was really the “beta” for Stadia, though it’s not clear if the technology is the same, or at least an alpha.

1 Like

I have a gaming PC but I still jumped at the opportunity to buy the founder edition of Stadia.

1 Like