Guide: Streaming Information -- The Basics

Current as of 2/21/15

Preface:

Strats has started a swing towards moving the community to generate media content, because of that a place for people to learn the basics was needed.

My goal with this is to push a series of posts that would provide a basis for most people to reasonably get started with a streaming or recording project and enable them to ask more focused questions relating to their goals.

Streaming Service:

Our primary counterpart here at Strats is Twitch.tv but there are many other services available. An account with twitch is easily attained and you can stream from a many number of applications that they have set-up thru the years most notably PS4.

Keep in mind that while you CAN stream to other services, we don’t have a strats channel in place for them so you would just be another face in the sea of faces.

Streaming Preparation:

The debate of streaming falls to your upload speed (which can be attained here: http://speedof.me ).

With an upload speed of around 2 Mb, you can stream. However, the quality of your stream compared against a YouTube video viewed at 720@30 (that is 720p and 30 FPS) would be fairly poor.

A good basis to go from would be something along the lines of the following table:

*In order to convert Kbps to Mbps divide by 1,000. (Ex: 1500 Kbps -> 1.5 Mbps)
**Twitch considers it an abuse of their system if you go above 3.5Mb of bandwidth – Auth

This assumes that you would be streaming at 30 frames per second and using stereo sound at a 128 bitrate.

So, what does this mean?

If you have an internet connection that falls between 1500 and 6000 Kbps you can stream if you are willing to take a hit on the quality depending on your upload rate.

TIP : Keep in mind that when you are playing an online game, the stream can cause significant issues with lag / packet-loss. You will have to take into account for any overhead that you may need for the game itself.

Computer Requirements:

This section doesn’t really apply to console users unless you are skipping the integrated streaming service and opting to do some more complex setups.

That being said, this section is very loose. You need to have enough power on your machine to either run the software AND a game OR the software alone. I know that is very vague and I am sorry. The general rule of thumb when streaming is to upgrade! The better your game experience, the better your stream experience.

Streaming Software:

Open Broadcast Software (OBS)

An open source streaming software. If you are working on a limited budget, this is most likely your go-to choice for getting up and running within a short period of time. The software is constantly in development but is fairly stable. Support for plugins and addons is decent. If there is something you WISH the software could do, someone has likely done it and that tool would be found in their resource section ( https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ).

XSplit

“Freemium” software. Using the base software is free but if you want anything beyond a certain base set-up you will need a pro license. The software is fairly feature complete and support is available for issues that may appear. Plugins can be found within their software.

Social Tools

With the advent of facebook, twitter and the like there has been a push to have desktop social tools like raptr and Overwolf. Both of these tools allow you to stream AND capture. I am not completely up to date on rapr but Overwolf allows you to a have a streaming chat client that you can hide from your game capture, which is great for streaming and reading on a single monitor.

Streaming & Recording Guides & Tutorials

A note regarding the above bitrate chart: Twitch considers it an abuse of their system if you go above 3.5Mb of bandwidth; I’d recommend no more than 3 :wink:

I added an edit, ladies love the edits!

I’ve been actually considering making a video series on this topic and setting up your equipment. I could always throw the Strats logo on the video to maybe help give Strats some exposure for people that see it?

Mad props for another good guide, @GuardianX! :smile:

I found as far as system specs go for PC’s, the more RAM you have, the better. My current desktop is almost nearly 5 years old or so, but has good specs. I didn’t get to upgrade my graphics card til last year when I could afford it, and then recently got 8 more GB of RAM from a good friend (was running 4GB ram before and it was hard to game and stream at the same time on just that.)

OBS is fairly easy to set up for streaming, I actually found a good starter tutorial from someone I watch regularly on YouTube. I can find it and share it if you’d like. :slight_smile:

The only issue I’ve found with OBS and writing tutorials for it is that it is in a constant state of flux.

I did want to do a topic on the settings or basically a “Your first broadcast” post, but a video would be great too!

Yeah I had to watch so many videos to figure out how to set up OBS and the whole time I was thinking “there has to be a better video out there”. Which was about the time I started planning on doing it myself.

This was the tutorial video that I used that I found pretty easy and useful. It helped me out a whole bunch.

So at the moment i’m using OBS, and i’ve gotten used to it. But i’m looking at Xsplit because it gives you the notifications for twitch followers and other stuff, does anybody here use Xsplit, and is it worth paying the monthly fee for?

@DrizztDo_Urden69 I was using Xsplit for awhile, however I ran into some crash error/bug that crashed it and couldn’t any support or help and tried uninstalling and reinstalling, so thats what prompted me to switch to OBS.

Did you like it while it was working lol?

I did like it while it was working. lol But i’ll take something thats free and know that works over something that costs and crashed and couldn’t get working again. :stuck_out_tongue:

ok. so what i’m really looking for, is i want something that tells me when someone follows my channel, i know Xsplit offers this but is there a free way to set that up?

@DrizztDo_Urden69 I don’t know if you’ve checked OBS’s website, but they do have a forums/help section with many different plugin developers making and releasing plugins. I know i’m looking for something similar, so that might be a good place to look. If you do find one thats good, let me know. :slight_smile:

ok i’ll check it out, thanks, and i’ll let you know if i find anything!

So i found a good video to get the twitch chat to appear on screen. Still looking for follower stuff. He also has a video showing how to see the twitch chat in game if you only have 1 monitor.

This is great for getting started really quickly, @tommy2118 uses this method of I recall.

About to head to work, I look to getting a guide for plugins tonight.

What I use is a combination of a plugin and an app. It gives me a ton of things like: recent sub’s, now playing, chat and a couple more.

Teeboard is the app
CLR browser is the plugin if I recall.

I’m going to go ahead and say, in my opinion, the minor convenience Xsplit might offer naturally on those features rather than having to manually integrate them yourself in OBS does not even begin to bridge the gap between the two; OBS is basically better on every front and, with minimal effort, can do so much more than Xsplit (and do it so much better ;))

Thanks brother, never seen Xsplit in action so wondered what the difference was. You’re saving me money lol

@DrizztDo_Urden69 so you’re looking for a way when someone follows it appears on screen?