Guide to Streaming to Facebook Live (Advanced)

A number of you have signed up to stream to our Facebook page. Right now, most people have been using NVIDIA Experience or the native Blizzard launcher in order to stream quickly and easily via the FB Live API. If you’ve enjoyed that experience it might be time to graduate to something a little more advanced.

Using OBS will allow you to do a couple things better:

• Create a more customized post to accompany your stream
  • Promote your own Facebook page and better associate your stream to you as the streamer
  • Schedule streams for the future to allow people to get reminders to watch
  • Better test and troubleshoot your tech

So let’s get started…

1. Start Facebook Live stream setup

First we’re going to head into the Page admin tab called Publishing Tools. There, you can find the Video Library section on the left (see below).

This tab shows all the previous live and recorded videos that have been posted on the page. From here, you can set up a new live stream by clicking the Live button at the top right (see below).

What you’re looking for here is the Stream Key. Everything else is handled by OBS automatically so it isn’t necessary to bring over.

Note that a stream key is good for 7 days but once you push some content (that is, hit Start Streaming in OBS) it will be active for 5 hours. Keep this in mind when scheduling streams for the future. If you want to schedule far in advance, such as scheduling a evening stream in the morning, you will want to make sure you do not preview the stream yet. I will cover this more in another section.

2. Setup Facebook Live OBS Settings

Grab the Stream Key (see above) and paste it into your OBS settings under Stream > Stream key (see below).

As I said above, the other settings are handled by OBS as long as you select Facebook Live as the streaming service. Note again that you will need to set up a new live stream each time you go live as the key refreshes.

Next, to touch on some stream settings. Your streaming output can be pretty flexible but in order to keep it simple, all you really need to set is the Video Bitrate to 4,000. You can stream at higher bitrates but I currently don’t recommend it because of how Facebook transcodes the video.

Your video output resolution should be downscaled to 720p.

3. Craft Facebook post

It’s now time to craft the post that will be sent out with your live stream. This will also be used after your stream as a “was live” video that will live on in the video library.

This is where you can add some recognition for your own page. In this example, I’m tagging @teh_ninjaneer’s official Facebook page.

…and tagging the activity of playing Overwatch.

The result is that people viewing this stream will see the nice complete sentence of… is playing Overwatch with Teh_Ninjaneer

…and all the appropriate items will be active links (including Ninjaneer’s page). Facebook also adds some signal in these cases and will give people the ability to easily like his page or interact in other ways depending on the circumstance.

From here you have two options…

4a. Go live (optional)

If you’re planning to go live right now, then go into OBS and click Start Streaming. You should soon see a preview in the window. If everything checks out and you’re happy with it, click Go Live.

4b. Schedule stream for future go-live time (optional)

The other option is to wait on previewing until you’re reading to go live and instead schedule the post for future. To do this, click the dropdown chevron next to the Go Live button and choose Schedule.

This will open the schedule dialog where you can set the date and time of your broadcast.

The benefit to this is that it will allow people who follow the page to set a reminder that you will be live. If they do, they’ll get a notification and be able to jump into your stream with a little more intent.

Here’s an example of that result:

That’s a wrap!

If you have any questions, feel free to reply here. If you’d like to do some live streaming on the Facebook page, remember that you can sign up on the other thread.

Is there any way to do this with Geforce Experience? Because that would be really neat.

No. The Blizzard launcher will attach the game name though.

That’s why this is the advanced version of streaming.

Then I am sad.

You’re welcome to use any method you’d like. I’m just presenting this as an option if people want a bit more control.

How does Facebook handle multiple people streaming to the page at the same time? Does it even allow it?

I might try streaming Fortnite this way using ReLive tonight

Yes, multiple people can stream. It simply shows more live streams in the feed.

Nice to see NVIDIA choosing to use Facebook as an example of an GFE stream during the latest driver update: