[Guild Wars 2] StratsCo [PC] (PvX)

pc
guildwars2

It seems that we are having a menagerie of new players coming in from the Strats family itself, so I figured I would post a basic summary of what I have learned in my limited experience with Guild Wars 2, but I would love to have other tips from the community to be lumped into a large “starter kit” for new players. I will continue to update this thread with builds, references for crafting and making gold, and much more. If you would like something added to this, simply post it as a comment!

#StratsCo Guild
What is Strats Co?
Strats is a is an exclusive gaming community that is currently expanding our Guild Wars 2 player-base. Our goal is to create an environment for mature players to enjoy gaming with like-minded people. We pride ourselves on a community built on strong friendships, building others up, and no toxicity among players.

Server(s):
Yak’s Bend & Ehmry Bay
(Being on either server is not a necessity, but is highly encouraged if you plan to participate in WvW)
The Yak’s Bend server is officially full until further notice. For more information on this discussion click here.

Guild Master:
@senNish

Officers:
@Diacuss
@W1thl0v3
@Wayward
@Laoria
@GuardianOfLaoria
@Auth

Weekly Events:
Monday:
None - Tune in at 9pm for Strats Weekly Stream!

Tuesday:
Fractals

Wednesday:
Guild Bounty Missions

Thursday:
Player v Player

Friday - Sunday:
Undecided

All times are at 8pm EST and will begin after server reset/Tequatl world boss

If you are new to the guild, or wanting to join, please go here and post your username so we can shoot you an invite! Make sure to hit that “represent” button upon joining!

Optional: Feel free to post an introduction post so we can get to know you better! :slight_smile:

#What’s New#
Updated 10.26.15

The new expansion has been released, and now the Strats Co guild is ready to take it by storm. On opening day, StratsCo members new and old showed up to take on their very first raid. This success lead to us now having our very own Guild Hall located in Gilded Hollow.

Halloween is also upon Tyria, resulting in a huge lineup of spooky themed events.

Wednesday night has been changed from World v. World to Guild Bounties in order to gain influence for the guild, as well as bring guild members together to kick some sweet, sweet tail.

#What You Need to Know

Guild Wars 2 just celebrated it’s 3rd birthday, and recently released a ton of new info related to the new expansion (Heart of Thorns) which is being released this year on October 23rd. My favorite thing about Guild Wars 2 is that you can literally do, well, everything. Do you want to be the geared-out dungeon master leading parties of up to five to victory through the Ascalon Catacombs or the Flame Citadel? You can do it. Do you want to be a hardened crafter, forging things for yourself, your guild, and the world? You can do that too. Do you want to be a pretty, pretty princess who shoots unicorns, sorry, rainbow unicorns from your bow? Well you’ve come to the right place, you freakin’ weirdo.

Guild Wars 2 does not follow the traditional MMO trinity of tank, healing and damage. No single group member will be holding aggro on a boss while another group member funnels a heal into him. ArenaNet has devised their own trinity consisting of:

Damage (dps, AoE)

Support (healing is a reactive part of this; there are also proactive methods such as boons, or buffs, that reduce incoming damage by % or completely negate the next attack, increased damage, etc.)

Control (tanking is the most basic and direct form of control, or making something do what you want it to; other forms include conditions such as slows, immobilize, healing reduction, etc.)

Your class and armor type are irrelevant of your trinity role. Every class is capable of performing each of the above roles to some degree. Some might be better suited at providing pure healing (which isn’t all that great in this game) to group members, while others will be better at offering other types of boons.

#Races
Asura:
Incredibly intelligent beings, the asura use their knowledge and skill with magic and crafting to assert their natural dominance. In the world of the asura, it is not the strong who survive, but the clever.

Charr:
The charr race was forged in the merciless crucible of war. It is all they know. War defines them, and their quest for dominion drives them ever onward. The weakling and the fool have no place among the charr.

Human:
Humans have lost their homeland, their security, and their former glory. Even their gods have withdrawn. And yet, the human spirit remains unshaken. These brave defenders of Kryta continue to fight with every ounce of their strength.

Norn:
This race of towering hunters experienced a great defeat when the Ice Dragon drove them from their glacial homeland. Nevertheless, they won’t let one lost battle—no matter how punishing—dampen their enthusiasm for life and the hunt.

Sylvari:
These noble beings travel, seeking adventure and discovery. They struggle to balance curiosity with duty, eagerness with chivalry, and warfare with honor. Magic and mystery entwine to shape the future of this race that has so recently appeared.

#Professions
Light Armor:
Mesmer:
Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon. Using powerful illusions, clones, and phantasmal magic to confuse and distract their foes, mesmers make sure every fight is balanced in their favor and their opponents can’t believe their eyes.
Elite Specializtion: Chronomancer
Weapons: Greatsword, staff, scepter, focus, sword, pistol, torch

Necromancer:
Practitioners of the dark arts, necromancers summon the dead, wield the power of lost souls, and literally suck the life force from the enemy. Necromancers feed on life force, which they can use to bring allies back from the brink or cheat death itself.
Elite Specializtion: Reaper
Weapons: Staff, scepter, dagger, focus, warhorn, axe, torch

Elementalist:
Elementalists are multi-faceted spellcasters that channel elemental forces, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack.
Elite Specializtion: Tempest
Weapons: Staff, scepter, dagger, focus, warhorn

Medium Armor:
Thief:
Experts at stealth and surprise, thieves can move through the shadows, vanish into thin air, or steal items from their opponents and use them as weapons. Thieves practice an agile, acrobatic fighting style, which can make them very hard to hit.
Elite Specializtion: Daredevil
Weapons: Staff, shortbow, pistol, dagger, sword

Engineer:
Masters of mechanical mayhem, engineers love to tinker with explosives, elixirs, and all manner of hazardous gadgets. They can take control of an area by placing turrets, support their allies with alchemic weaponry, or lay waste to foes with a wide array of mines, bombs, and grenades.
Elite Specializtion: Unknown
Weapons: Pistol, rifle, shield

Ranger:
Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.
Elite Specializtion: Druid
Weapons: Greatsword, longbow, shortbow, axe, dagger, torch, warhorn

Heavy Armor:
Guardian:
Guardians are devoted fighters who protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.
Elite Specializtion: Dragonhunter
Weapons: Greatsword, staff, hammer, scepter, mace, shield, sword, focus, torch

Warrior:
Warriors are masters of weaponry who rely on speed, strength, toughness, and heavy armor to survive in battle. Adrenaline fuels their offensive power—the longer warriors stay in a fight, the more dangerous they become.
Elite Specializtion: Berserker
Weapons: Greatsword, longbow, rifle, hammer, axe, mace, shield, sword, warhorn, torch

Revenant (Heart of Thorns Expansion):
Coming Soon

#Crafting
Each character can have a base of two crafting paths
Armorsmith
Weaponsmith
Cooking/Chef
Artificer
Jewler
Tailor
Hunstman
Leatherworking

#Resources

Here are just a few resources and links I, and others, have found helpful on our journey through Tyria.

Guides by Ten Ton Hammer are super insightful. With everything from leveling crafting, making gold, to tips every GW2 player should know! High Recommend

World Boss Timer

#Builds
Builds are now located here

Please feel free to post tips for starting members, your preferred builds for certain professions, resources, etc.

Thanks!
Kenz

BigSerg Introduction
Intro Void_Link
Wildstar Reloaded is now live!
Nirebel Inroduction

I would like to add some additional info.

Guild Wars 2 does not follow the traditional MMO trinity of tank, healing and damage. No single group member will be holding aggro on a boss while another group member funnels a heal into him. ArenaNet has devised their own trinity consisting of:

• damage
  • support (healing is a reactive part of this; there are also proactive methods such as boons, or buffs, that reduce incoming damage by % or completely negate the next attack, increased damage, etc.)
  • control (tanking is the most basic and direct form of control, or making something do what you want it to; other forms include conditions such as slows, immobilize, healing reduction, etc.)

Your class and armor type are irrelevant of your trinity role. Every class is capable of performing each of the above roles to some degree. Some might be better suited at providing pure healing (which isn’t all that great in this game) to group members, while others will be better at offering other types of boons.

You wot mate?

Orly? :smile:

Great post though. I like when you words.

Great. Added!

We might want to break builds out to a different thread since that’s a massive discussion in and of itself and would make a great repository players could visit specifically. Perhaps we can link them back to this thread by adding a list of builds sorted by classes?

Haha. My thoughts exactly. “Maybe if I just call myself an officer, then I’ll just kinda be one…”

I thought she was labeled an officer on the roster. Maybe @senNish got a little wild with the promotions when he was drinking heavily.

Nice write up, Kenz! This makes me excited to watch ya’ll play.

I accidentally a think, I would fix it, but she is listed as an officer in-game… I guess she has squatters rights now…

Common Law Officer :wink:

Haha I’m sorry! I was just going by what I saw on the roster.

And yeah I agree @Auth we should do a build thread separate.

This is so hard to find for new peeps…

It shouldn’t be; there’s barely a screen-worth of threads in the Guilds & Clans category :wink:

I just started a character, complete noob at this game. only at lvl 5 :joy:

I’m really low right now too, playing a sylvari thief

#Thread updated 10.26

Thank you @Vocino for the fantastic graphic <3

I would like to announce that we have extended our Guild Leadership for our GW2 guild and now have @GuardianOfLaoria and @Laoria as our officers. I’d like to thank them for their help and I’m happy to have them aboard.

cheers

Thanks so much! We’re both super excited to be part of the team! :strats_green: fo lyfe.

PS I LOVE THE IRON GIANT

Thanks! It’s an honor!