Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta

For any of you Halo fans, fans of Halo Wars, or just a fan of the RTS genre, you might be interested to know that Halo Wars 2 has a beta in progress until January 30th.

While not the full experience, nor the beta that we got to put through the motions last year, the game introduces a new game mode called Blitz:

Blitz is a new addition to the Halo Wars experience offering a twist on RTS gameplay that combines the deck building and split-second decision making of card-based strategy play with explosive tactical combat in the Halo universe. Your card deck, along with your faction leader, are your greatest resources as you assemble a collection of air, ground and infantry units and seek to out-think and out-maneuver your opponents on the battlefield. Blitz is a PVP gametype that offers 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 configurations via Xbox Live matchmaking.

Having given the Blitz beta a spin on both my XBOX One & my PC (it is available on both), I have to say the PC version is a far smoother experience. While the console version is relatively easy to handle & the game has been built with a controller in mind, I found it far easier to dish out orders & call in additional units much more efficiently with the combo of a keyboard and mouse.

And equal to both devices, the multiplayer component is definitely a work in progress (note: only PvP is available in the beta). As matchmaking is entirely random, I found myself in matches where I was going up against some significantly tough opposition where players have poured a solid number of hours into the game already. Conversely, I have also benefited from players not entirely sure how to play the game (play the Tutorial - you get a free card pack for it).

So how many of you might give this beta a spin? Oh, and before I forget, for those of you who like collectibles, you can cash in a freebie by taking part in either a PvE or PvP experience on Twitter.