Happy to find a professional, laid-back gaming community

Hi, I’m Dylan Larkins - better known online as tmad40blue.

I’m pretty much the definition of a “distracted creative”, dabbling in all sorts of creative disciplines but never quite deciding on one. Music and technology might be my biggest interests, though.

I work as a staff member at the local science and technology museum, where I help out with groups/field trips and education programs as well.

When I’m not at my day job, I’m a Linux systems administrator and multiplayer gameserver owner, and have been for many years now. My personal computers run Linux as well.

Some (but certainly not all) multiplayer games that I enjoy are Destiny on PS4, Super Smash Bros 4, Minecraft survival mode, Armello, DnD (using something like RollD20 if I’m playing online), and anything table-top really. I also enjoy a small-cult-following roleplay game called Space Station 13; maybe I can get some of you into it as well.

As far as single-player, the Metroid franchise is one of my all-time favorites. I also enjoy Dwarf Fortress and have played for years.

As an aside, I’m also a pianist and a bit of an audiophile, and have a deep appreciation for quality over quantity in any discipline/field.

Hope to get to know some of you better. Glad to be here at Strats.

Welcome to Strats @tmad40blue, nice introduction by the way. A lot of us hang out on Discord, which you can join HERE

Look forward to talking with ya…

Glad to have you here! So what do you mean multiplayer gameserver owner? Are they for certain games, which ones? I’ve used Linux VERY little, but I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m putting on my pine64’s, guess I better get familiar, any tips?

Thanks for the welcome.

I started a small Minecraft server for friends in 2011 and have been running it since. I’ve moved up from a tiny shared hosting plan to renting and operating my own dedicated Linux box (running CentOS 7) from a major hosting provider for about $200 a month; all of my operating costs are now covered by donations from players. I’m not a crazy expert but I can manage and run my own stuff (Minecraft, web server, Source Engine games, and basically anything else that can run on Linux).

Welcome to Strats :slight_smile:

Welcome to Strats! I love the background info.

Very cool.

Metroid, eh? I keep a GBA SP and Metroid: Zero Mission on my nightstand. Have you played the AM2R fan game? I had followed that guy for so long I never thought it was coming out, and suddenly on Metroid’s 25th anniversary, it was announced. Great game.

Welcome to the cave friend! Glad to have another linux nerd around the cave! Have fun, enjoy, go wild and bring lots o’ rum!

Welcome to the site. And thanks for all the info in your intro. That’s quite impressive that you have your operating costs covered by donations. Now I’m curious what all types of game servers can be run on Linux.

How did you find the Strats site? Always interesting to learn how we are reaching new people.

I bet you own a sound card.

Hey mate, welcome to the party! As an aside, I noticed you dropped your username on the whitelist request thread for the Minecraft server. We’re actually in the process of spinning that server down for the time being (I think the billing cycle ends Friday) as it’s been pretty quiet the last several months. There’s a shot we’re going to spin it back up in the future, but for now it’s shutting down. As a result, I’m not going to whitelist you because I’m doing the final server backup later tonight so I can upload the map for folks that played and want to keep their creations. Outside of that, awesome intro thread; if you have any questions or run into any issues, don’t be afraid to let us know :wink:

Welcome good sir!

I sure have; it was phenomenal. A fantastic tribute to the 2D Metroid series - I really wish Nintendo would give it more attention, but it’s never really taken off in Japan, unfortunately.

Lots and lots and lots. All of the ESL tournament stuff is run on Linux, as every Source game is Linux-compatible. Minecraft works great because it’s Java, and anything else that’s Java is good too. As well as web servers, databases, etc., of course.

I was actually looking for a community to do some Destiny LFG stuff with before the big September update hits, and I wanted to weed out the toxicity of a lot of the rest of the community. I found a thread on here and checked out the site and here I am.

Actually, I don’t own a PCI sound card, as they generally tend to be of poor quality and have bad EMI shielding. I go straight out from the motherboard through S/PDIF into a FiiO D09K DAC, then into either my JBL LSR-2325 speakers or my AKG K702 headphones (powered by a Little Dog MkII tube headphone amp).

Welcome! I will add you on PSN tonight. I’ve been thinking about loading Destiny back up. I haven’t played since the game launched.

Hey there!! Welcome to our little corner of the Internet! :slight_smile:

Welcome to Strats & great intro!

@teh_ninjaneer he just owned you. Holy cow. It’s back to the drawing board for the sound card train.

Welcome aboard! And I concur, great intro.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.