Heroes of the Storm Tier List

heroesofthestorm

With us moving towards hero / team league I figured I’d put together a tier list as I see it now. Hoping to spur some discussion. Let me know what you think! Numbers next to the hero indicates notes.

Tier 1

These are the top heroes. If you can pick them and have some experience on them you should. In general I would expect some of these to get the Blizzard “balance” at some point

• Anub’arak (1)
  • Brightwing

Tier 2

These heroes bring a lot to a team, and if you are playing at a higher MMR / hero league expect to see a lot of them.

• The Lost Vikings (2)
  • Sylvanus
  • Jaina
  • Kael’thas
  • Johanna
  • Tyreal
  • Illidan
  • Uther
  • Rhegar

Tier 3

These heroes might have some limitations but can work in the proper comp. Generally they are still strong picks

• Murky
  • Nazeebo
  • Zagara
  • Zeratul
  • Kerrigan
  • Malfurion
  • Tyrande
  • Arthas
  • Muradin
  • Raynor
  • Valla
  • Falstad
  • Nova

Tier 4

These heroes have some sort of serious limitation and generally there is a similar hero that works better than them.

• Li Li
  • Tassadar
  • Gazlowe
  • Abathur
  • Azmodan
  • Sgt. Hammer
  • Sonya
  • Chen
  • Diablo
  • Tychus
  • Thrall

Tier 5

These heroes are more or less nonviable at a more competitive level and I would expect Blizz to attempt to adjust them at some point. Sub 40 win %.

• Stiches (3)

Notes

1. Anub’arak is currently the best hero in the game. His win percentage of 60% is one of the highest in the history of the game and he just brings more to the team than any comparable character. I would caution buying him however as he is likely going to get the balance hammer sooner than later.

2. TLV is a very strong hero, but is likely one of the most difficult heroes to play correctly. Additionally if picked first / early it is possible to counter them with certain comps.

3. Stiches is in a terrible place right now. Early in the game he was my most played hero and the top warrior. Blizzard nerfed all of his abilities, his talents, and his scaling. He is almost unplayable in his current iteration. He has one of the worst win percentages in the history of the game.

I must be doing it wrong. Your top tier are my worst and your bottom are my best.

But then again, mediocrity is my strong point.

I would say that a lot of this depends upon your current mmr. For example at lower MMRs Li Li is an absolute monster because her heal is massive and people have trouble locking her down. At higher MMR her lack of a targeted heal, lack of hard crowd control and easily interruptable ult make her a liability.

All of that being said this list is my opinion based off my games and observations of tourneys

I’ve been having a lot of luck with Chen, especially when he gets his special that lets him split into 3. Good for burst damage against mercs or towers. (The flying kick can bite you in the butt though if you accidentally port through a gate.)

I honestly haven’t played a lot of Chen and it’s hard for me to place him. He has a middling win % but a really low play rate so it’s hard to say. I think one of his main issues is the lack of a hard cc (interrupt) without speccing into barrel when compared to other warriors. But i could see him filling a role as a damage dealer / front line on the right team comp where someone else has that such as a BW or Uther.

I’d say that’s close to how I’d rank them as well, except for sure bump Valla up and maybe I’d bump Li Li, Tassadar, Chen, Muradin up one. Murky could be tier 2. High win rate in higher mmr games where played well.

That said, as @teh_ninjaneer notes, any heroes if played well and in the right team comp/map can do well. I’d rather someone along side me playing a good Tassadar vs a poor Rhegar.

If looking at new heroes though, I’d strongly consider the top 1-3 tiers but being aware Anub and BW will get nerfed some soon I’m guessing, and Jaina, Kael’thas and Sylvanas may as well get a minor tweak. Valla and Illidan are probably the best low cost heroes atm, especially if like being assassins.

Chen is dead to me. I hate him.

Like ghost said most of the 2k heroes are not only viable but quite good. If you are looking to fill in your roster of heroes I would Def pick up valla, muradin, Illidan (4k), malfurion.

Also I would say tier 2 / 3 are in many ways a personal choice. Any hero from here is going to be viable and you want to play someone you enjoy and are comfortable with as this will be the biggest difference in your game over slightly better or worse heroes

lol, you just can’t handle your brew well :stuck_out_tongue:

You can always tell a new Chen player when they kick over a wall and drink themselves to death while the keep hammers on them

I admit my first and only time playing him was confusing. I mean you have to stand still while channeling your “mana” pool. I really don’t see how there’s a scenario where this is not a huge disadvantage. There are so many characters who have replenish talents that are completely mobile and can be mashed while getting slightly out of range.

The Zen of Chen (Best practices for playing Chen in Heroes of the Storm)

But he’s also shielded when doing this and nearly invulnerably so at higher levels as long as not interrupted and can shield teammates with it as well if talented at 16 I think.
Kind of hilarious to watch people pound away on him while his teammates wipe them out.

Are you looking at Hero League winrates on HOTS Logs?

When I referenced specific win rates these are pulled from hotslogs. Sorry for not specifying in the op.

To my knowledge that’s the only source, so I was wondering if you can get that info from Blizzard somehow.

I don’t think Blizz publishes that except in some specific instances. Occasionally they reference a hero win percent in balance notes, but they as far as I know they aren’t publishing that data

Thanks for the clarification.

I like seeing some heroes that do well in QM being so low on the Tier-list. Abathur and Li Li definitely come to mind. Though HotS doesn’t suffer this as badly as DOTA, because HotS doesn’t really have pub-stomping heroes or combos like in Dota.

Looking at you, Pudge. Highest playrate in pub DotA since forever. His HOTS cousin needs some love.

So I’m looking into buying some heroes with gold. Is this list still good @Rellek? (I took the liberty of formatting it a little for readability).

@Vocino Some things could change due to the next patch

It looks like most heroes that are good will continue to be good. However the following are seeing substantial changes that may make them worse: Rhegar, TLV, Brightwing.

It looks like Malfurion received fairly significant changes that will likely make him better. I belive Raynor has received a buff to his one ultimate as well.

Overall some of the general talents have changes coming but I’m not sure how this will effect heroes on a hero by hero basis.