I need help (again) with stream setup

obs
twitch
pc

So almost 2 months ago I upgraded the internets so that I have a 4+Mbps upload speed. Should be sufficient for streaming. For the past month there have been issues where the speed has been at 1Mbps or less but that seems to be remedied now.

Today I feel like I’m finally ready to explore.

I decide to go big and load up Dirty Bomb, a first-person-shooter. If I can stream that I can do anything, right? The listed recommended specs for this game are:

• 2.0GHz quad core processor
  • 3GB RAM
  • GeForce 7800GTX or better
  • generic sound card

I easily exceed these with my rig:

• i5-4570@3.2GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • GeForce 970
  • Sound Blaster Z

The game is horrible when I stream. I don’t see it on my end. OBS gives me all green, zero dropped frames, Twitch says everything is excellent. But when you watch the stream and the playback there is constant stuttering, skipped frames, cats and dogs living together.

I started out with a bitrate of 2500. Dropping to 2000 improved things a little bit but that seemed to introduce a bit of lag from lowered bitrate. 3000 bitrate was a total mess. I died one time and you couldn’t even tell what killed me. Trotting along and all of a sudden just dead.

I then tried ARK and that was an even worse mess, assuming because it’s a more graphically intense game than Dirty Bomb. I bottomed out the video settings and it helped some (still not great) but the game looks pretty bad. ARK specifically states that High video settings are for the 970.

I tried Marvel Heroes (isometric Diablo-style game) and that game seemed to play and stream just fine. It actually recorded some dropped frames in OBS. I don’t understand why Dirty Bomb did not.

Does anyone have suggestions? I feel like my system should be sufficient for this. The problem seems to be with first-person-shooter style games. I haven’t tried anything other than Marvel Heroes to confirm this.

It’s difficult to stream and game without an i7, it’s hard to get around that. x264 encoding is all CPU and you have to do it in real time.

Everything I’ve read about my processor says that it should work well. Would an i7 really make that much of a difference?

I watched part of your Dirty Bomb stream earlier today and experienced no issues; who or what is leading you to believe there’s a problem? Everything looked just fine while I was watching.

It’s at least ~10 frames per second (of video encoded) difference, which can potentially be the difference between keeping up and buffering. Looking at your specs and internet speed, this seems like the only bottleneck.

@teh_ninjaneer are you testing on the same machine? Gameplay + encoding + decoding (preview) + decoding (watching stream) might certainly be too much. Can you test on another machine or use the Twitch app on your phone.

Can confirm, I have issues if I don’t close the video preview of my stream on the Twitch Dashboard.

Another viewer told me there was problems and then I watched the recording on Twitch and saw the same issues. I didn’t see them on either OBS or the Twitch dashboard but it was there on the recording. I wish I hadn’t deleted it so quickly.

I’ll play another match and see if it happens again.

I do have my Twitch dashboard on the monitor beside me. I can use my tablet for viewing. Guess this is why people have laptops.

That might help free up some frames. I guess just try to be as lean as possible on your gaming/streaming pc. If it’s showing up on your recorded broadcast then that confirms others are having similar issues.

A lot of the i5 streaming builds are built around League of Legends or Dota2. You’re attempting some big kid 3d games.

So you have 4000 upload speed. Alright. Well the first thing you still need to make sure of is what FPS did you put your OBS at. Guarantee if you put the FPS to 30~45 it would run way better.

No. Not true at all. Some games are optimized poorly and some games are optimized really well. I know nothing of Dirty Bomb but Ark, one of the games you tried playing, is poorly optimized currently and will result in dropping of frames on and off. Shooter games, being really quick and action based may result in the same issue.

Seems good to me.

As previously stated, it could be the FPS you have right now & it could also be your resolution. When you downsize your resolution on OBS it can fix many issues.

Diablo is an entirely different game and graphic style, so it might require less for your internet to keep up with it.

If you need further assistance i could help you on mumble or on the ps4 whenever you’re on.

Something else that will help you out is setting your Resolution Downscale to 1.5 (1280x720) and your Filter to Lanczos (best detail, 36 samples) under Video setting in OBS. This will allow for a smoother stream rather than trying to send 1080p out to Twitch as a non-partner (which is all-but-impossible to do with good quality because of the upload restrictions you face as a free user).

10 min match on Twitch profile. Things seem to have went better without Twitch dashboard up. Maybe that was the problem. There were a few hiccups but certainly less than 10.

I am using a 2500 bitrate. Downscale is set to 720 with 30 frames. However I am using the bilinear filter because I assumed that would be best on the system. Would Lanczos really be the better option?

If upgrading to an i7 is really the only other option I don’t mind doing it. Surely I can find a good upgrade for a decent price.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Well, Lanczos will give you the best quality of downscaling to send to Twitch at the cost of some additional CPU. On an i5 I’d just do a test run and see what happens.

After watching the videos, it seems that a lot of the hiccups are when things get really intense (lots going on on screen), so it could be a hardware issue (not enough muscle under the hood). One other thing it could be is upload speed related. If someone else in your house is making use of the internet, on 4.0+ with 2.5 dedicated to the stream plus whatever the game is using and everyone else on the network, the hiccups could be attributed to that.

The other thing to check is the Twitch server you’re streaming to; it’s somewhat counter-intuitive, but the geographically-closest server isn’t always what you have the best signal to. This can be due to a variety of reason including the number of jumps your signal has to make to get there, the number of users streaming to that server, and whether or not you’ve made enough burnt offerings to the gods of stable bandwidth (@shane is not on good terms with them). This tool is what I use to make sure I’ve got the best server selected.

All-in-all, it doesn’t look bad and I wouldn’t stress overmuch about it; the user trying to watch you might have had a shitty connection to the Twitch server you stream to (since you’re not partnered, your stream isn’t transcoded or mirrored on other Twitch servers) :wink:

Your tool is interesting. I already knew that Ashburn was going to be the lowest ping (47ms avg) but the jitter is getting as high as 15ms. Dallas is the lowest jitter at 3ms but has a 64ms ping. Chicago is in the middle at 56ms ping but it’s getting a high jitter too.

Maybe I need to switch to Dallas.

I’ll also try changing to Lanczos filter. I’m currently searching for what i7 cpu this mobo can handle.

Ping is less important for RTMP streams. It just means it will take a bit longer to connect but once it’s connected, you want the most solid connection.

I assume you mean that Dallas would be the better choice also. I’ll take a couple more peeks for a day or two to confirm.

Based on the numbers you posted I don’t think it’s going to make that much difference but it’s probably worth testing if you’ve got multiple options.

It sounds like you’re almost good to go. Once you have your setup working, one thing you can do is disable preview in OBS as well. Eek out a few more frames!

One option I don’t have is Miami. It was giving worse values than the West Coast.

Hopefully I am almost g2g. It looks like an i7-4790 is the highest upgrade available (Z87 mobo socket 1150). Maybe someone is looking to get rid of inventory on the cheap.

The advantage of an i7 is you’ll have a large performance buffer for these issues. You can afford to be more liberal with your settings.

I’m only using a 4770K (currently not overclocked) and able to stream while gaming with no issues from my PC with the Lanczos filter at 60 fps (though I’m using 3k up, so you might leave it at 30 fps for 2.5k); the only time I make it angry is when I start turning up the x264 CPU preset :wink:

4770K checking in here too.

I believe the encoding preset (fast, very fast, etc) is exponential so moving up there gets really nuts very fast.