I signed in to World of Warcraft after many years. Ouch

worldofwarcraft

It’s so bad.

The graphics are just terrible by today’s standards. What are they going to do? I was under the impression that when they updated the textures and models that it meant a pretty significant improvement.

It seems almost like zero change.

How are people still playing this? A complete refresh or a new game must be on the horizon. It just has to be.

World of Starcraft. I don’t care how much they say they’re not going to do it, they need to fucking make the game already :wink:

i warned you…

Yup, I should have listened. That nostalgia tho

It’ll get you ever time :wink:

That’s more or less how I felt after trying to revisit the original everquest awhile back.

Everquest updated their character models when the game was almost 3 years old. None of the environment was changed as best I remember, beyond normal improvements with xpacs. Old zones remained the same.

Most people likely continue to play because they enjoy the gameplay aspects, or they are deeply connected to their character and don’t want to give it up.

The game is still successful, just like Everquest has maintained a core set of players all these years. Some players can look beyond the dated graphics.

How’s the fancy graphics working out for Wildstar?

The graphics are ok, but you can see the slow move away from a huge art/asset team and sliding into maintenance mode. I think we have about 2 more expansions before it goes into a "were adding stuff, but not on the large scale of stuff like TBC, Wrath, and Cataclysm. (Also remember, they have a long standing business model of having it run on as many systems as possible.)

It doesn’t help that I’ve lost interest in mmos in general.

I still hold on to hope that there will be one that blows me away again.

COUGH… Albion Online… COUGH COUGH… sorry I’m not feeling well

Man, @DrizztDo_Urden69, looks like you have a summer bug of some sort; you should seek treatment on or about June 29th for that :wink:

I would literally quit my job, end my relationship, and tell my parents to write me off their will because I’m not planning to talk to them ever again anyway if World of Starcraft becomes a thing.

I am right there with you man. I would go into hiding and just play all day and night like it was 2001.

Personally, I think Blizzard is getting out of the MMO business now that Titan has fallen. They’ve made their big money from Wowcraft so they will just ride it out similar to Everquest. World of Warcraft will be their primary connection to the Warcraft franchise for a few more years while Starcraft remains in the RTS world. I think Warcraft is done with the RTS.

Once both of those have burned out they will be carried on by Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. I think CCGs and MOBAs are the more popular thing now.

And I think Blizzard has a new franchise coming soon. Have you seen Overwatch?

World of Starcraft > Overwatch > basically everything else :wink:

I don’t know about that @teh_ninjaneer.

On the one hand, I absolutely agree that we will not see a Wowcraft clone. That is to say, a subscription model, hardcore raiding, heavy time commitment, PC RPG.

On the other hand, those epic long-arch games are what build a universe and I think that’s what Blizzard is doing.

I bought ATVI based on one thing: the universe approach.

In 5 years, I believe we will see Blizzard approach IP like Marvel. When they commit to a project, they’ll be asking “what is the opportunity across all channels?”

What does that look like? Maybe it’s toys, collectables? It’s certainly looks like it will be games and probably even feature films. Rides? Theme parks? Events, competitions?

In this respect, I think anchor games are important. Playable universes like World of Warcraft where immersive character storylines develop. To a certain extent that is Diablo-esque games as well but in my opinion to a lesser degree.

Yeah, I can see them riding it out but there was an EQ2 and there still may be EQ Next so if they just ride it out it won’t be like Everquest.