I think I am going to build this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU | Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor | $313.36 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler | $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $263.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory | $156.46 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $80.99 @ NCIX US
Storage | Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card | $299.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive | Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer | $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) | $89.98 @ OutletPC
Mouse | Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse | $29.30 @ NCIX US
| | Total
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1531.00
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 01:14 EDT-0400 |

So I pulled the trigger on this build last night. I’m pretty sure I was a little sleep deprived. :smile:

The long and short of it is:

I built an economy machine earlier this Spring in order to get back into PC gaming, It looks something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $109.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $47.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $38.98 @ OutletPC

^^I upgraded this to 8GB

Storage | Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $49.94 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card | $159.99 @ Newegg
Case | NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case | $37.99 @ Microcenter
Power Supply | Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply | $54.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive | LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer | $15.99 @ TigerDirect
| | Total
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $515.86
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-13 00:55 EDT-0400 |

The rig was nice at first, but I really started to get into video editing and streaming and it was just not holding up. I figure that with i7 and Asus Maximus CPU and motherboard configuration, I will have a good foundation for awhile to come.

The good news is I also picked up an Elgato HD Game Capture device. So I can attach it to the smaller rig and have a dedicated computer for capturing XboxOne and PS4 content.

You won’t be sad if you do, I’m running the EVGA 770 GTX and LOVE it. So, yeah

Thanks @Wheatums310. All the parts should be here by the end of the week. I’ll keep you all abreast of the situation.

I got her built…now let’s see if she will start.

I got her to POST last night, but I was getting a CPU fan error. It seems that the cooler I selected idles below 600RPM and the MOBO throws a flag for any speed below that threshold. I’ll be able to clear the flag and start loading software to night. I’ll keep you all posted.

Got most of the software loaded up tonight. That SSD is awesome BTW. Time to clean up my mess and get some sleep.

Awesome. What’s your drive setup? Windows and apps on the SSD with bulk storage on the HDD or are you using the SSD for caching?

It looks good. I love ROG motherboards.

That’s a great looking build. Awesome choice of the SSD as well. I have 250gb version that I’ve yet to install in my own machine.

I’ve been tempted to build my a small fileserver, or convert my existing build to a Mini ITX / Micro ATX build.

Hope the new builds working nicely for ya.

I set up the SSD for Windows and apps and set the 3TB Drive up for everything else. I also moved the paging file to the HDD and turned off hibernation. I think this gave me back close to 20 GB of drive space.

The ROG MOBO is very nice, balance of form and function. :smile:

I could not believe the load times…I knew it was going to be fast, but it is remarkably faster. My MS Words opens as fast as notepad and Adobe PS took about 3-4 secs,no exaggeration.

Ya, it’s absolutely crazy how much of an improvement an SSD brings to your entire computer experience.

I just helped my dad upgrade. He was using an old 5400RPM IDE HDD and now has the same 120gb Samsung Evo you have. I also tossed some parts his way (old i7, etc.) and he’s completely blown away by how fast everything is now.

Congrats on the completed build!!