I'm an idiot who just bought a new PC, please help

So I’ve been without a PC for about three years now. My last one ended up dying due to some virus… syphilis I believe.

Anyways, I don’t know crap about computers. I basically go for whichever PC has an adequate amount of RAM and a decent sized HD, then I go from there based on the kind recommendations of friends.

I don’t use the computer for anything more than browsing the internet, playing some older RPG games (Fallout NV, Skyrim, etc.) and listening to music. I don’t need a computer that the PC master race would pray to, I just need a decent one.

Anyways, please tell me what upgrades I should make to achieve my goals and where you’d recommend I shop. Here’s what I got…

HP Pavilion Desktop
-8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory (Expandable To 16 gigabytes)
-2TB Hard Drive
-Hard Drive RPM: 7200 revolutions per minute
-Hard Drive Capacity: 2000 gigabytes
-Hard Drive Type: SATA
-Processor Speed: 2.0 gigahertz
-Processor Model: AMD A8-Series
-Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R5

EDIT: I realize the processor is less than excellent, but I understand I can push it to the limit with a software upgrade. Anyways, I tend to judge a computer in comparison to the last computer I owned, and in reference to my last computer this one is slightly better in terms of its basic statistics.

Is this it here? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-desktop-amd-a8-series-8gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-gray/8580007.p?id=1219350935437&skuId=8580007

That’s the one. I got it cheap because it was mismarked with a previous price.

You seem like a good candidate for something like the ASUS ROG G-20.

Is that a computer or a space ship?

Why not both?

I guess the big question is what do you find you’re having problems with? Are you trying to play certain games and noticing it’s been lackluster, or are you just wondering if you should be upgrading anything at all?

Honestly, your computer pretty much sits at just above average. The A8 Processor isn’t horrible, but isn’t meant for gaming either. It’s also clocked pretty slowly, so you might notice some hesitation there.

The Graphics card is solid, and will probably get you by with some gaming on moderate settings, and most gaming on low settings. That’s assuming it’s 2GB. Your mileage will vary if it’s smaller than that.

The only other thing I’d look at is the RAM. 8GB is a good bit, but it doesn’t tell me much about the speed of the RAM itself. @Vocino talks a lot about it in a different topic.

One of my favorite websites to check my system compat is CanYouRunIt? Go there on your desktop and check a few of the games that you were thinking about playing, and it’ll let you know if you’ve got the machine you need.

In terms of what you can upgrade in a computer that’s prebuilt, it’s hard to say. You CAN put in more RAM, but it may not accept all speeds (moreso the O.C. speed RAM). Having more never hurts, but again, I’d lean on Vocino’s description to find what you’re looking for.

You can also upgrade your graphics card as well, as long as your tower has the space for it, and the respective slots. Most modern MoBos have what you’re looking for in that regard. The only thing you’ll have to watch is that if you get one that needs more power than what the MoBo provides, you may ALSO have to upgrade your PSU, which ends up just being a giant headache in factory built systems.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about changing processors in general, but I imagine it’s even harder to do on a factory built system than it is a custom built system.

I hope this helps you out. I’m sure others here can elaborate a bit more.

Por Que Los Dos?

And the village rejoiced