Let's talk about Nintendo - E3

nintendo
e3

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111125152418/nintendo/en/images/5/5c/NintendoLogo2.png
So we don’t generally talk about Nintendo a lot here on Strats. Most of us are PC players and even on the console front there is a PS4 majority. But Nintendo has always been good, and even now they put out title from time to time that interest me. I noticed in all the E3 Hype exploding our forums last week, there wasn’t much talk about what Nintendo was doing, so I thought I’d look into and see what they have planned.

So sadly, there seemed to be a lack of talk about Zelda Wii U at E3 this year, which is what I was most excited about. But there was talk about another game that had me pretty excited.

Star Fox Zero

Star Fox Zero is much like the Star Fox Games you might remember from your childhood (but not Star Fox Adventures) It features piloting your starship, dogfighting, flying through arches and rings. But it also has new elements that give it a bit more depth than it’s predecessors. You can pilot 3 unique vehicles each with the ability to transform (for instance, your ship can transform into a walker and traverse the surface of a planet) and the Wii U controller will display a cockpit view with your cross-hairs for accurate shooting. All in all, Star Fox Zero looks pretty solid.

Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker allows the player create their own levels and worlds using various paint sets (Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Brothers, Etc.) to customize a Super Mario level to their liking. Even allowing the player to turn Mario into other Nintendo heroes such as Link using Amiibos. Created worlds can be shared with friends or made public for the whole of the internet to enjoy.

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

While there wasn’t any big news on the game I’ve been waiting on from Nintendo (Zelda Wii U) there was some Legend of Zelda Hype at E3 this year.

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes is the newest Zelda title for the 3DS, featuring 3 player Cooperative gameplay that requires each player to do his part in order for the group to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles.

The game features a “Totem” mechanic which involves players standing on each others shoulders to reach higher objectives, as well as a “Fashion” system which alters your characters abilities based on what you are wearing.

Not exactly my ideal Zelda game, but it still shows promise.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Also announced for the Nintendo 3DS was Metroid Prime: Federation Force. A 4 player Co:Op FPS set in the Metroid Prime universe. The game also includes Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, a 3v3 mode that has teams trying to knock a giant soccer ball into a goal using their weapons. . . . . .

Yoshi’s Wooly World

Now this isn’t really my type of game but I feel it deserves a mention here because it looks really well done. It’s kind of a Yoshi themed little big planet meets super mario world.

Additional Announcements

So those were the announcements that grabbed my attention and looked interesting to me. Additional announcements include:

Fire Emblem Fates

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Yo-Kai Watch

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

So yeah, Nintendo had a lot going. I’m sure I missed something but I tried to get everything worth mentioning (and some things not worth mentioning. . . I’m looking at you mario tennis)

My long and short of Nintendo was: SUCH SAD. MUCH DISAPPOINT. SO DEPRESS. W O W

Honestly, I wasn’t impressed at all. Even the big titles that they announced (which you nailed as the top three announcements) weren’t worth getting too hyped about. Star Fox seems cool, but I feel like the controller is going to be too gimmicky and take away from the cool features they talked about. Mario Maker looks like the answer to Little Big Planet several years later. Yoshi’s Wooly World is the only major title that I’m really excited for, but if I’m being completely honest, I’ve played Kirby Epic Yarn, and I don’t think I’m going to get much more than that.

The Metroid game made me want to set up pencils, pointy end up on the ground and jump on them. Seriously, that sad mistake of a game should be put back in the vault and never looked at again. I don’t know how they ever thought this was going to be a good idea, but I’m not looking forward to it at all.

Their best announcement, for me, as a VERY old Nintendo gamer, is the NES Earthbound localization. And that’s already here.

The rest of the titles that were mentioned varied from, “Cool, a sequel/rehash” to “goodness what the hell were they thinking?” There was that one game that was very Japanese RPG looking game with the slick soundtrack and great visuals. I just don’t remember what the name was but I remember seeing a big #FER or something at the end of the trailer.

Overall, super flopped again this year, Nintendo. Better luck next year.

i actually found the Mario World Maker to be a compelling announcement.

I was watching the Nintendo championship where they had speedrunners speedrun through the new Mario maps that were created by fans.

It was pretty interesting the watch, and the amount of creativity that can be lent is pretty far out.

Other than that though, Nothing else really impressed me. I was even sad to the Star Fox announcement fall short. The graphics still remind me of the 64 days.

Yeah, I think Mario Maker was the coolest thing they announced but I’m still pretty excited about Star Fox. Even if it has a gimmicky controller thing, I’m usually good at dealing with those.

I love nintendo. That being said, in the past few years I have seen very little to be really excited about. I was always first in line for new games and new consoles till the wii-u (still have not bought one yet). Several of the things on that list look neat to me but still nothing that makes me say: Yes I need that RIGHT NOW. And that makes me a sad kitty…