Magic the Gathering: Arena - Early Singleton Deck (Selesnya)

mtga

During the first weekend of open beta, Magic the Gathering: Arena had a free Singleton event going on. Singleton is a unique format that’s similar to Commander (or EDH if you’re old school) where you cannot have more than a single instance of any card in your deck other than basic lands. This makes heavy combos almost impossible to pull off and generally makes for a more random feel to the games as players can’t rely on getting specific cards too much. This also makes the ever-popular Rat Colony a threat.

Rat Colony circumvents the 1/deck rule the same way it circumvents the 4/deck rule that normally applies to deck building, and in so doing makes itself and its other Rat Colony buddies stronger (+1/+0 for every other rat in play). It can get…out of hand real quick given that it only costs 2 mana to cast. So, I designed a deck that would be both competitive against other Singleton decks and stop the rat onslaught, to satisfying results:

The decklist I used for Welcome Weekend Singleton was the following:

1 Daybreak Chaplain (M19) 10
12 Plains (RIX) 192
1 Haazda Marshal (GRN) 13
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw (M19) 31
1 Silverbeak Griffin (M19) 285
1 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
10 Forest (RIX) 196
1 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
1 Greenwood Sentinel (M19) 187
1 Highland Game (M19) 188
1 Rabid Bite (M19) 195
1 Saproling Migration (DAR) 178
1 Thorn Lieutenant (M19) 203
1 Verdant Rebirth (XLN) 212
1 Yavimaya Sapherd (DAR) 189
1 Tranquil Expanse (M19) 259
1 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 255
1 Leonin Warleader (M19) 23
1 Take Vengeance (M19) 40
1 Luminous Bonds (M19) 25
1 Confront the Assault (ANA) 3
1 Serra’s Guardian (M19) 284
1 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn (RIX) 30
1 Generous Stray (GRN) 129
1 Pause for Reflection (GRN) 140
1 Elvish Rejuvenator (M19) 180
1 Spore Swarm (DAR) 180
1 Tendershoot Dryad (RIX) 147
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
1 Prodigious Growth (M19) 194
1 Tactical Advantage (ANA) 12
1 Knight’s Pledge (M19) 19
1 Angelic Reward (ANA) 1
1 Pegasus Courser (DAR) 29
1 Seal Away (DAR) 31
1 Rustwing Falcon (M19) 36
1 Gallant Cavalry (M19) 12
1 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
1 Root Snare (M19) 199
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183

The play style varies depending on what sort of deck you’re up against, but my goal behind the deck was to have several inexpensive creatures along with a few combat tricks to bait Rat Colony decks into preemptively attacking before they could kill me (Rat Colony in Singleton usually builds until it can 1-shot you, since losing any rats means all other rats are less effective). To do this, I loaded up a ton of 3 or less mana creatures, as well as a few ways to negate all combat damage for a turn and instant-speed creature summons like Spore Swarm (the card I used in the first picture where I’m blocking a horde of 10/1 Rat Colony attackers) and Confront the Assault. Mixed with all this anti-Rat Colony whatnot were several strong 1-off cards like Tendershoot Dryad, Carnage Tyrant, Prodigious Growth, and Leonin Warcaller (among others). The majority of these were available to me through the decks I unlocked, so this is by no means a be-all/end-all Singleton deck, but it’s a good starting place for new players to build from. Green and White combine well with a number of strong creatures, hordes of disposable chumps for attacking/blocking, life gain, and mana ramp; when combined with the judicious use your combat tricks, you gain the ability to bait your opponent into a costly mistake if you can’t overpower them in a more straightforward manner.

At some point if I sit down and redo this deck, I’ll post an advanced version of it, but if I play in this Singleton tournament sometime this week, I’ll likely just take this deck back in and see what happens at least once. I didn’t have as crazy a win rate as my Golgari Deck is sporting, but I was probably in the ~65% range, if I had to guess.

Feel free to discuss the deck list, provide feedback, and even share your Singleton decks if you like. Special thanks to @Calibian for motivating me to do this write-up.

Catch you on the Planes,
@Auth

Thanks mate. I’ll see what I can do with the cards I have. I try to give more detailed feedback in the future.

Edit:

I’m missing 5 cards:

singleton_missing

replaced them with:

Leonin Vanguard
Kinjallis Sunwing
Mentor of the Meck
Ghalta Primal Hunger
Inspiring Commander

On the first run i had 2 wins before loosing the second time in an epic 45min game.

Nicely. I imagine the competition will be a bit more stiff with this Singleton run than it was for the Welcome Weekend event, and I wonder if anyone will be brazen enough to run Rat Colony or not.

Yeah, I played against some very well made decks with lot of legendary and rare cards no rats though. I think atm a lot of veterans are playing even in the lower ranks, different from what you are up against in hearthstone :wink: