Microsoft reveals Windows 10 versions

pc

There’s going to be 7 versions. SEVEN. Microsoft, again? Have you learned nothing?

• Windows 10 Home (consumer-focused desktop edition)
  • Windows 10 Pro (essentially the same was Windows 8 Pro in terms of connecting domains and WU for Business)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise (distributed updates for corporations)
  • Windows 10 Mobile (renamed Windows Phone, will also be run on phones, tablets, and… Xbox One!)
  • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise (I’m assuming this will likely be managed platforms like distributed updates for phones just like desktop, iOS has something similar)
  • Windows 10 Education (slimmed down for EDU)
  • Windows 10 IoT Core (gateway devices for emerging markets and dumb terminals)

Wow…

That all seems so unnecessary…

There can only be one

That’s a bunch of editions, but I suppose we can cut that down to 5 if we take their mobile platform out, which isn’t terrible because in reality you only have 2 new editions. Education and IoT Core which don’t sound terrible. Obviously the average consumer will only need to worry about 2 editions - Home and Pro. The enterprise is clearly their business model (Both the WIn10 + Mobile variant). The Education will be directed towards schools, colleges, university’s and again not the average consumer. The IoT core would again be something directed towards tech business who’s business is, as you put it dumb terminals, etc.

In reality, this is actually a better layout then Windows 8, Windows 7 and WIndows Vista.

Windows Vista and 7, the consumers had to decide between Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. The Enterprise editions I don’t think were sold commercially in stores.

Windows 8 was better in the sense that you just had to decide between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. Again the Enterprise edition I don’t think was commercially available. The one big issue with Windows 8 was RT as this confused the hell out of the average consumer. Thankfully it was only on their low end surface tablets and was not an option for the average consumer to purchase it for their own desktop.

So all that said, again the average consumer now only has to worry about Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro which is pretty straightforward.

So when’s the release?

Last I read, nothing official, however just rumors for this summer (ish)

Core’s been around since 2012. It’s meant as an appliance OS. (think remote server that runs things like packet sniffers or as a local AD box that just replicates.)

Yep, from what I remember there’s no UI to it, it’s more or less just a shell of the OS.

So, does anyone know how the upgrade works here? I’m running Windows 8 Enterprise. Would I get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise?

You get a free upgrade to windows 9.9 Tablet version. Everyone else gets Windows 10 Enterprise.

Windows 9.9!? Nice. I’ll be a cool kid, got my own unique OS.

I would assume that you’d stick with the same edition you have, but that’s all I have, just an assumption :frowning:

That’s my assumption as well, was just curious if there was any kind of official information on it.