Minecraft - What You Need to Know

minecraft
pc

I am going to purchase Minecraft tonight when my kids go to bed and I plan to invest some time into it and really give it a chance.

Being that I’m new to it, what advise can you give me? What did you wish you knew starting out? What resources can I use to get smart on it?

Standing by for flood of useful information…

I’m standing by as well. I just bought and would like to know some good tips.

Straight from the minecraft wiki http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Beginner's_guide
As Minecraft is a sandbox game, there is no defined or proper way and style to play the game. However, one common theme found throughout gameplay is the need to feed yourself, and to avoid (and later, fight) hostile mobs that spawn either in dark places (e.g. caves) or when night falls.

First day
As your first day begins, you will need to collect wood. Use this to make a crafting table and a wooden pickaxe. Then dig a small stairway into the ground to collect at least 29 cobblestone for a full set of stone tools, and a furnace. You then want to make a shelter (dirt or wooden shack), or if available, stay in a village. After that put down your crafting table and furnace and smelt some wood into charcoal, and make some torches with that.

Nighttime
For nighttime, the primary danger will be monsters. It is a good idea to stay in your lit shelter. If you don’t have armor and a sword, do not try to engage any monsters! The worst way to die early on is to be killed while trying to hunt monsters, so don’t do it!

Death
Normally in survival mode Minecraft, when you die, all items you were carrying or wearing in your inventory are scattered around your point of death while you respawn elsewhere. Until you sleep in a bed, you will spawn somewhere within 10 blocks of the world spawn point. This includes the first time when you started the game, so you can respawn anywhere within 20 blocks of where you first entered the world.

The traditional advice is to build your first shelter as close as possible to the spawn point, so if you die, you can easily find it again, or even spawn in a now-protected area. Even with the variation in where you’ll come back, it’s good to have a lit shelter nearby the spawn point. However, a problem with sheltering away from spawn is that if your death site is too far from where you respawn, your items may despawn while you’re trying reach them. (See below for more details.)

Like any dropped items in Minecraft, the items you drop when you die will despawn (disappear) after 5 minutes, unless you’re more than 180 blocks or so away, that is outside of chunk update radius The problem is that if you died at night, you will find yourself stranded without your weapons and armor, so you are quite likely to get killed again, or at least find your stuff guarded by monsters. Meanwhile, some of the monsters can actually pick up your stuff and use it against you! And if you spawned near your death scene, that 5-minute timer can easily go by before you can actually get back to and keep your stuff.

However, the above only applies until you have made and used a bed in a secure shelter. Once you’ve done that, you have a new option: If you get killed at night, you will respawn next to your bed, so you can just go back to sleep, and wake up the next morning — the items don’t “expire” while you’re asleep. It still may be worth keeping your bed out of chunk update range from where you’re endangering yourself, but at least you won’t be stranded outside at night.

Food and hunger
Once you have tools and shelter, your next priority will be food. Hunger will take a while to hit, so it shouldn’t be a problem on your first day, but you’ll try to pick up some food for when it does. However, after you’ve been moving around for a while, your food bar will begin rippling and start to decrease. If your food bar drops below 90%, you will not regenerate health, and if it gets to 30%, you can’t sprint. If the hunger bar goes down to empty, you will begin losing health. Unless you’re in Hard mode (and a beginning player shouldn’t be), you can’t actually starve to death, but you will go down to 1 health point (Half Heart.svg) in Normal mode or half your health (Heart.svgHeart.svgHeart.svgHeart.svgHeart.svg) in Easy mode, and that leaves you quite vulnerable.

Walking, mining blocks, and even placing blocks all cost some hunger, but all of those are minimal compared to the items below. These are the things that cause the most hunger, in order of cost.

Healing damage of any sort. Avoid taking falls of more than 3 blocks, drowning yourself, or otherwise taking damage, as healing damage costs a lot of hunger. Especially avoid…
Fighting: Both attacking mobs and receiving damage cost hunger, even before you start trying to heal damage. (10 blows either way matches healing Half Heart.svg, one health point.) You will need to slaughter a few animals, but pick your fights carefully.
Sprinting. If you double-tap the forward movement key (W by default), or hold your sprint key in (Left Ctrl by default), you will sprint. This moves somewhat faster, but it also uses a lot of food, especially if you go any distance. (30 meters matches healing Half Heart.svg.)
Jumping. Obviously, you’ll need to jump some just to get around, but don’t bounce around randomly or unnecessarily. (15 jumps matches healing Half Heart.svg) Sprinting jumps are especially costly, 4 times as much as a regular jump, although they are the fastest mode of transportation early in the game.
Note that if you’re (staying) at full health, and not moving, fighting, mining or placing blocks, then you will use no food. Thus if your character has a secure place to stay, you can just stay put to conserve food while waiting out the night, a storm, or crop/animal growth.

I will try to get on by 9 PM EST if anyone wants to group up.

What are the benefits of grouping up? This is a gather resources and build game, right? Educate me. :smile:

When starting off YouTube is your best friend and so is the Minecraft Wiki. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki I do know a lot about minecraft as I have been playing for years so if you need to know any information about certain things than you can PM me or contact me on twitter (AiKiller2). My advice is to just jump right in and watch a few videos on YouTube maybe browse the Wiki a bit.

Mostly for the social aspect

As someone who streams MC, can you give me some insight on what my initial in game goals should be, both for an enjoyable stream and smart gameplay?

Another thing you want to do with our server is take a look at those videos linked in this post. They cover the unique commands that we’ve added to help alleviate griefing and help you keep your stuff free from @DracoIsmenium’s thieving hands (swerve; ain’t nobody forgot what you did ;)). @Dynamible (a seasoned Minecraft player) hopped on earlier and immediately realized he should have watched those videos; he took a few minutes to check them out about 10 minutes after he logged in.

It should be noted that his post form the Minecraft wiki is pretty spot on, though given our server’s configuration, I think it’s best to make a house rather than try to find a village, per the guide’s advice.

You can dived and conquer. It makes it more fun, because there and no objectives. You can feed off ideas and help get stuff back when you die. I want to be a horse Lord, so if you want that you know where to come.

Remember, I’m totally new to this. Horse Lord?

@Dynamible just wants to find a tame a bunch of horses and ride around on them acting all cool. What he doesn’t know is where the 12+ team of horses I found is located or whether or not I killed them all to make his goal more challenging :wink:

Those videos are great and quick. The tweaks to the game make it easier to get to your place and spread out. And keep your stuff safe.

I want to breed horses.

Well I’m not the best at giving advice but for an enjoyable stream would be just to have fun with it… Minecraft is a great game to stream because you can interact more with your viewers rather than being more focused towards the game with some interaction. Smart gameplay… this would fall under “I’m not best at giving advice” and don’t really know how to answer this. The thing to Minecraft is you don’t really ever have a set “goal” like most games. You make your own goals you do what you like rather than what you’re told to do so as for me… It’s hard to explain the game… and hard to explain how to get started, what to do, and your basic “goal”.

I’m going to try and stream on the server later today so if you want to stop by feel free. I do get a good amount of lag when I’m on servers and stream so it might not be the funnest thing to watch but I try. :stuck_out_tongue: I think I’m going to try and stream at about 5ish PM CST and I stream for hours on end. twitch.tv/aikiller

Thanks @AiKiller that helps more then you know. I’m really looking forward to playing this.

I just bought this too…im such a easy mark…lol. So all this advice is greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention prime directive #1 when starting out in Minecraft:

• Open Options…, go to Music & Sound…, turn Music to <20% and Weather to <50% or your ears will regret everything.

Or if you hate the weather and music sound like I do… Turn it off! xD

I tried to adjust my broadcast settings and it tells me i have to migrate my premium account to a new account…i just bought the game and dont have an old account to migrate…any suggestions?

Don’t use their stream options? I never do, I just run it through OBS without all that business :wink: