Mini Review: Heat Signature

review

Loosely roguelite, you take missions at a difficulty of your choice to raid space ships, capture them, rescue people or assassinate targets, and have a wide array of equipment to help. What sets this apart is that you can pause and take as much time as you like to make actions. You can clear a room of 4 people easily with clever planning. Reprogram sentry turrets, shut down shields, teleport people out of the ship, break windows to suck people out, blow up engines to create a new airlock or dive out a window and rescue yourself with a remote control pod. Can be a little repetitive, but mechanics are really solid & it’s a lot of fun in small doses (although I played it for 8 hours straight).

Additional
Oh, and you can find guns from other people’s games too. My first character did bloody brilliantly using a self-recharging subverter from one of @ottomic’s characters. The writing is also funny, and some of the mission and weapon descriptions made me laugh.

Status: Kind of endless, so I’ll be playing it on and off. There’s an over-arching goal, but each character is designed to be killed or retired after an hour or so.
Rating: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

For more reviews, check out my Steam Quest.

I played the hell out of Heat Signature, the problem I have with it is that it’s easy to cheese it out with the game to the point that it becomes kinda boring. I would have welcomed character bonuses to one style of combat or the other, or more balanced gear, because once you get ahold of a self recharging item or a weapon that’s silent you really don’t have to worry about much. Also, the AI is pretty dumb and easily exploitable.

Still, I think it’s a pretty badass game and that you can get a whole lot of time of enjoyment before it starts slowing down. It gets a 7/10 from me.

Agreed! I worked out pretty quickly that silent self recharging weapons makes almost all the challenges doable. But - if you don’t have self recharging weapons, then lots of missions are off limits because 20+ guards with shields are impossible to deal with without the right tools.

Yes, exactly, it works both ways. You can both find missions that are laughably easy and others that don’t give you other alternative than to bail out because you can’t possibly do them. Stories are a good example that situations where things click together -even though they can be tough as hell- they can become very satisfying.

Very insightful review.