Mini Review: Prey

review

From the very beginning I was totally absorbed by this. The voice acting, the graphics, the interface and the game mechanics work together to make something really special. In what feels like a spiritual successor to Bioshock, you find yourself in the middle of an alien outbreak aboard a space station, and have to blast your way through the alien threat, discover the lives of the people aboard the station, plug upgrades into your brain & save humanity. It’s difficult to talk too much about it without spoiling anything, but the game got more and more epic towards the end and I found myself playing the last 14 hours of the game in one sitting, which is unheard of for me.

Additional
One of the reasons I loved this so much was the numerous similarities to Bioshock:

• It takes place on a remote location away from humanity with the world’s best scientists playing God, and something goes wrong
  • There are lots of moral choices like using Adam - the upgrades in this game have a similar choice (spoilers)
  • You spend most of the game alone and find very few humans
  • There’s a hacking minigame
  • You perform research on enemies using a camera
  • The fonts and visual style are very similar
  • For a significant portion of the game, there’s a mysterious voice telling you what to do with no human contact
  • SPOILERS!

Rating: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

For more reviews, check out my Steam Quest.

The fabled 5-cookie from our resident Concise Critic!

They do exist! :smiley: https://steam.ishvii.uk

As I’ve just listed them for someone else…

A Story About My Uncle, ABZÛ, AER Memories of Old, Antichamber, Aquaria, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, ASTRONEER, Bastion, Besiege, BioShock, BioShock Infinite, Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, Cat Quest, Cities: Skylines, Crashlands, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link, Dishonored, Divinity: Original Sin (Classic), Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Don’t Starve, Don’t Starve Together, Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, Epistory - Typing Chronicles, Fallout 4, Grand Theft Auto V, Guacamelee! Gold Edition, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, HELLDIVERS™, Hollow Knight, Into the Breach, Invisible, Inc., Jamestown, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Machinarium, Mafia II, Mark of the Ninja, Mass Effect 2, Middle-earth™: Shadow of Mordor™, Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™, Ori and the Blind Forest, Outland, Oxygen Not Included, Portal, Portal 2, Prey, Prison Architect, Refunct, Renegade Ops, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition, Saints Row IV, Saints Row: The Third, Stardew Valley, SteamWorld Dig, SteamWorld Dig 2, SteamWorld Heist, Subnautica, Supreme Commander 2, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The Last Of Us: Remastered, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Stanley Parable, The Turing Test, The Walking Dead, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Torchlight II, Volume, VVVVVV