Mini Review: Subnautica

review
steam

It’s been a very long time since I was so utterly absorbed by a game’s atmosphere; it’s probably the best exploration game I’ve played. It’s the only game I’ve played that truly conveys the depth and uncertainty of the ocean whilst also being beautiful, amazing and scary. I played it twice during EA and it’s awesome to see it finally released. The story elements are great, and they’ve made a really good job of the ending. It’s clear that the team have put a ton of hard work in to making a really polished and deep game. Can’t wait to see what they do next.

Rating: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

For more reviews, check out my Steam Quest page.

Base Screenshots

Outside

Moonpool

Corridor

Access

Picture frames!

Engineering

Alien research

Bedroom part 1

Bedroom part 2

Bedroom part 3

Lab

Garden

General screenshots:

Spoilers

Nooooo!

Ghost Leviathan

I’ve been playing subnautica since the very beginning (I was, in fact, pretty miffed at the lack of content of their first SEA build) and I have played it extensively (Steam says uh… 180 hours? God damn!). The base building is honestly pretty cool, as is the exploration, but I still have quite a few complaints about the game that are endemic enough to there not being a point to complain about them, but that still make a pretty fine caveat emptor: There are no effective weapons or critter control, which has annoyed a good chunk of players, the AI is a bit erratic at times, the map is entirely handcrafted and static; and although the early game is pretty open the game is ultimately pretty linear, meaning the replayability and wow factor is extremely limited, and I’m honestly not a fan of the game shifting the focus from survival and base building to running away from big huge monsters in the mid to late bit. However, as a play-once-or-twice experience it’s reasonably pleasing and fun, so if you’re going in with the mindset of “I’m buying a 20-30 hour game that takes pleasure in being unpleasant at times”, it is a nice buy. Honestly, if I could unlearn everything I saw during my run with the game and start fresh I would, because I can only think of how tense, scary and majestic the game is for a new player. It’s just a shame it’s such a disposable product.

I picked this up the other day. I’m only ~10 hours in so far, but I’m really enjoying it.
I also can’t wait to try it in VR. I feel like it would only be even more beautiful/terrifying.