Mini Review: The Outer Worlds

The short version is that this is probably the best RPG I’ve played this year. The dialogue is excellent, writing and voice line delivery is genuinely funny - I haven’t laughed this much at a game’s conversations for a long time. Everything else I have to say is basically down to the fact that you need to bear in mind that Obsidian aren’t a AAA company, and this game has achieved a huge amount, but is probably limited by manpower and budget. I hope the success of this game fuels them to keep going and fund a larger game. I feel like this is a kind of modern Fallout-lite. It has the dialogue and the setting, but lacks the scope & depth.

Additional

• The game is pretty well optimised, I was running it at 80fps on Ultra in most areas, and it has an excellent view distance. Again related to my comment on budget, I think they probably spent more time optimising the earlier areas, as I felt the FPS dropped a bit in the second half of the game.
  • I really enjoy the guns in the game, but combat in general is too easy (even on hard) and over too quickly. I rarely had a fight in the game last more than 20 seconds. Time dilation is a good substitute for VATS.
  • You can definitely see the Fallout roots, but it is it’s own game too
  • I want crafting!
  • There’s way too much stuff to loot. Every single fight I ended up with more ammo than I started with, so by the end of the game I had 2000+ of each ammo type.
  • It’s cool that you can pick up some interesting objects and put them in your ship
  • Having something like ‘vaults’ with their own mini stories would be great. Every location in the game is tied to a quest, but I’d love some standalone areas to explore with their own backstory.
  • Flaws are a really interesting mechanic, but I feel like the drawbacks aren’t worth the perks
  • There are no grenades
  • I wish I could see corpses on the minimap after combat so I knew where to loot, instead of running around staring at the ground looking for bodies
  • I’d love survival aspects from Surpernova, but don’t want permanent companion death, limited fast travel or lack of saving
  • The first area has a hard choice to make, and I think it handles it excellently. I got way more involved with the NPCs than I usually do in a game like this.
  • There’s a reputation system built into the game, but it seems completely irrelevant. I didn’t notice anyone react different, and it had no effect on the story. I didn’t even realise there was a way to check rep until I stumbled across it in a menu about 25 hours in
  • Your character can have a flavour background, but it has no effect on the game
  • Dialogue is mostly the same regardless of what options you pick.
  • Dialogue skills are just there to get more money or xp and generally don’t have any effect on the conversation

I played this on Microsoft Game Pass, which cost me exactly €1 for a month. I’ll probably buy this next year when it’s not exclusive to Epic anymore.

Rating: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

For more reviews, check out my Steam Quest.

6 Likes

Great to see such a glowing review for this. I’ve been considering it as it keeps getting recommended to me on both Steam and Xbox Store. The trailer immediately screamed “fallout” to me. A fallout with advanced graphics sounds amazing though.

1 Like

FYI Microsoft purchased Obsidian back in Nov 2018. Budget wasn’t a problem.

I’m really enjoying The Outer Worlds. It is most similar to Fallout 3 with sometimes 6 or more dialogue choices and skill checks for some of those choices.

My character has already acquired 2 flaws: I take 25% more plasma damage because I’ve been shot too many times, and he is also afraid of heights because I received fall damage too many times. I was very surprised at the second because I had never seen something like that in a video game.

My character has very high intellect and personality traits but very low physical. I have been able to avoid several combat situations by talking my way out of it and I feel like I have been rewarded with adequate XP. Also, these traits provide me with crowd-control skills such as your first shot has a 50% chance to cause a human to cower for 10 seconds and such.

You even have the option of creating a character with very low intellect and he becomes a blabbering fool. I haven’t tried it yet but I believe your dialogue options and conversations change to reflect that low int.

If you are interested in this game I highly recommend taking advantage of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate deal and playing the game for a month.

1 Like

That’s interesting - I wasn’t aware they’d been bought. Although if it was only a year ago, it’s unlikely to have affected the game much. Do you know if they added resources to the team or anything?

1 Like

I guess the Microsoft purchase really didn’t affect this game since Obsidian already had a publishing deal with Private Division. But their next game should have a much higher budget.

Also, Microsoft bought inXile Entertainment at the same time (they made Bard’s Tale 4). Microsoft purchased several companies over the past year to help with first-party titles for the new Xbox.

1 Like

Don’t think this is the case.
I bought at market price through Microsoft. I have no subscription.
Just have to use the “Xbox Companion App”

Yes you’re right - you can buy it from MS too. What I meant was “when it comes to Steam”