New Streamer! :O

Hey everyone, fairly new to streaming here and looking for some advice/help to assist in making my twitch channel grow into the beautiful flower it is. My Twitch user name is General_Slappy. I’ve been rebuilding my system to support, at a minimum, 1080p streaming. So far, I think it’s nearly ready… Minus a good Yeti brand mic.

My potential schedule would be M-Th: 7pm - 9pm; F-Sa: 6pm - Whenever; Su: 6pm - 9pm. I typically play whatever as this is for a hobby.

I’ll be happy to check out your stream sometime. I spend many hours just watching random people.

I am by no means a master of the stream, but I’m not sure if you will get 1080p without being a Twitch partner. But someone else might be able to confirm this.

Yeah, it’s honestly better for your framerate to be downscale to 720p, IMO, because you’ll never be able to push anything close to good FPS without being a partner (or, you will, but the pixelation will be intense).

Thanks for the confirmation @Auth. I would prefer to watch a crisp 720p stream rather than a jacked up 1080p.

Ok. Streaming at 1080p would put me back a ways, financially anyways lol. Personally, when watching streams, I don’t mind 720p (As long as I’m viewing a good refresh rate). I am certainly not even close to being sponsored anyways, so why even go for the 1080p.

I know twitch has the bigger audience (right now), but I would seriously look at streaming on YouTube instead.

• You’ll be allowed higher bitrates and resolutions than a twitch partner.

• Viewers can select the quality they want on everyone’s stream. You don’t have to achieve “partner” status.

• (I believe) All your streams are automatically saved as VODs on your youtube channel and stay there forever.

Just an overall better streaming platform.

Edit: this only applies if you are not using a capture card
The one thing I forgot to mention is the advantage of the much higher bitrate YouTube allows you (8Mbps vs 3.5Mbps).
3.5Mbps is a pretty low bitrate for HD video, so you need to make every bit count. Pure CPU encoding (x264) will be your best option if you want a good looking stream. Unfortunately this method will have the greatest impact on your game’s performance.
YouTube allows over double that, which means you could use GPU accelerated encoding (NVENC), still have a stream that looks better than the 3.5Mbps Twitch stream, and it comes at a MUCH smaller performance hit than x264.

I use Shadowplay. Where do I fit in?

Edit - Actually, the options for streaming with Geforce Experience sheds some light on what @Bradum is saying. With Twitch, their “high” setting is 720p, 30 fps, and a 4.0Mbps bitrate.

For Youtube, “medium” is 720p, 60 fps and 6.0 bitrate. “High” shows 1080p, 60 fps and 9.0 bitrate.

Hey Slappy. I saw your intro thread but it was locked already. I’m also starting a stream, a military veteran, and live in Washington. I tried to locate you on Steam, but people under your username were in Korea and Germany.