As an extension of the new Lunar New Year event in Overwatch, Year of the Rooster, Blizzard also released a new game mode called Capture the Rooster (known forevermore as CTF). To outline their philosophy behind this event, Jeff Kaplan is also back in front of the camera to provide another developer update:
For those without 12 minutes on their hands, as always here’s my tl;dr version (left out things I didn’t think were that important):
- CTF has been under development since before launch of game.
- CTF is first dual-objective game mode - as the both flags are in play at the same time, as a team you must determine your resource split between offense & defense.
- Hero mobility remains in play - only a few second day to pickup flag has been added to prevent instant cap & return. Any damage taken will reset timer.
- You don’t need your own flag to cap opponents flag.
- Mode will be a 3-week event & live in Arcade - could return again in the future.