• Los Angeles Valiant

0 voters

• New York Excelsior
  • Los Angeles Gladiators

0 voters

• Houston Outlaws
  • Dallas Fuel

0 voters

Wow, there’s a solid number of matches this week I don’t feel confident about picking.

With week 2 behind us, we’re starting to see the tiniest separations beginning to form up at the top end of things. @bonus has snagged the first position heading into Week 3 with 19 points, trailed closely by @skidoLLaZ with 18 points, Stage 2’s champion @NVS_1 with 17 points, and @dontcallmejames and @Diacuss tied up in 4th with 16 points. This week should be one of the most interesting ones what with matches that include the Battle for LA (Wednesday at 4:00pm PDT), the Battle of 1776 (Thursday at 6:00pm PDT), and the Battle for Texas (Saturday at 5:00pm PDT) among a host of others; if you don’t watch a ton of Overwatch League, there are at least 3 matches this week worth catching (the fan hype gets real; #UpTheAnte!).

In the battle of Man vs Machine, it appears that Machine is doing its best Spring impression and ghosting, while Man enjoys another comfortable lead this Stage. Once Machine figures out how to defeat the automatic bot protections, we might all be in trouble, but until then it’s a bit of a snooze-fest.

Wednesday, 25 April Matches

• Shanghai Dragons
  • Boston Uprising

0 voters

• Los Angeles Valiant
  • Houston Outlaws

0 voters

• Dallas Fuel
  • Florida Mayhem

0 voters

Thursday, 26 April Matches

• Los Angeles Gladiators
  • London Spitfire

0 voters

• San Francisco Shock
  • New York Excelsior

0 voters

• Seoul Dynasty
  • Philadelphia Fusion

0 voters

Friday, 27 April Matches

• Dallas Fuel
  • Boston Uprising

0 voters

• Los Angeles Gladiators
  • Houston Outlaws

0 voters

• Los Angeles Valiant
  • Florida Mayhem

0 voters

Saturday, 28 April Matches

• San Francisco Shock
  • London Spitfire

0 voters

• Seoul Dynasty
  • New York Excelsior

0 voters

• Shanghai Dragons
  • Philadelphia Fusion

0 voters

Week 3 is in the books, and while the separations at the top are holding, there’s been some shake-ups in the positions. @bonus tied with @NVS_1 for most accurate picker of the week, and they hold the 1st and 2nd positions with 29 and 27 points, respectively. @Diacuss moved up to 3rd position with 25 points, and @dontcallmejames is tied with @Droul for 4th at 24 points. Week 4 doesn’t have quite the hype around some of the games as we had last week, but there’s still going to be several worth watching; feel free to jump on Discord and join the conversation in the Overwatch channel or #gaming.

I think we all know how Man versus Machine is going to shake out this Stage; Man is interested in your ideas on how best to shame Machine during the upcoming STR4TS Monthly.

Thing I hadn’t realized until voting today: Boston is on top of Stage 3 standings with a perfect 6-0 record. They are followed by LAV (5-1, +13) THEN comes NYXL (5-1, +10). Those reverse sweeps are taking their toll, if only in the margins.

I had a thought yesterday about the increasing parity between Korean players and everyone else: the Korean players are playing on NA servers when they’re not scrimming on the OWL LAN and client. It’s a possibility that they’re not having to play up to the same level in pubs that they had to pre-OWL, since they had been playing on Korean servers. There’s definitely some improvement among the weaker elements, but I wonder whether that’s greater than the skill degradation that purely Korean lineups may be experiencing.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens 1) when Korean OWL players who visit home and play on Korean servers again, and 2) when Korean OWL Contenders players get called up to the big league. If the Korean “newbies” regularly run amok, it’s going to raise questions about the legitimacy of the “best team in the world” label for any OWL champion.

EDIT: Forgot the obvious 3) when Seoul starts playing from Seoul, and thus is on Korean ladder.

Wednesday, 2 May Matches

• Philadelphia Fusion
  • Dallas Fuel

0 voters

• Florida Mayhem
  • Los Angeles Gladiators

0 voters

• Houston Outlaws
  • San Francisco Shock

0 voters

Thursday, 3 May Matches

• San Francisco Shock
  • Florida Mayhem

0 voters

• Boston Uprising
  • Los Angeles Valiant

0 voters

• Dallas Fuel
  • New York Excelsior

0 voters

Friday, 4 May Matches

• Los Angeles Gladiators
  • Boston Uprising

0 voters

• New York Excelsior
  • Shanghai Dragons

0 voters

• London Spitfire
  • Seoul Dynasty

0 voters

Saturday, 5 May Matches

• Shanghai Dragons
  • London Spitfire

0 voters

• Seoul Dynasty
  • Houston Outlaws

0 voters

• Los Angeles Valiant
  • Philadelphia Fusion

0 voters

Heading into the final Week of Stage 3, the top positions are pretty-well locked down, but there’s still an outside chance for a couple folks to contest for a playoff spot (sounds just like the actual Overwatch League situation; #UpTheAnte). @NVS_1 managed to catch @bonus this week, and they’re now tied for first place with 36 points. 3rd place belongs to @dontcallmejames at 31 points, and 4th is @Droul’s with 30 points. That said, @Diacuss and @DasRenegade are not far behind and could threaten given the number of uncertain match-ups occurring this Week. I’ll be releasing the playoff details in the coming days to those that might make it to the contest playoffs, so keep an eye on your forum PM’s this week (I’ll also ping you on Discord when I send the forum PM); it will contain specific instructions on how we’re determining 1st place, so pay close attention and do as it asks :wink:

In Man v Machine, Machine managed to pick a few games last week, but got them all wrong. I’m wondering if after its previous defeat it’s established a neural network to determine how best to beat Man; I suspect it’s still in its infancy and hasn’t yet learned that you have to vote every week on every game to even have a chance. Maybe subsequent generations will improve over time, but given that this is the final Week for Stage 3, the outcome is a foregone conclusion at this point. Man > Machine. Again.

I found I was really conflicted with the London vs Seoul vote this week… I spent a good 5-10 minutes looking over that one match up, lol. They’ve both in the past been fairly strong teams, but I think London has the edge with some of the maps and their past games.

Playoff Bracket Results

Stage 3 has come to an end! The top 4 positions didn’t change at the end of this week, so @NVS_1, @bonus, @Droul, and @dontcallmejames went into the Stage 3 Playoffs to compete for the grand prize: a :moneybag: $20 Blizzard gift card :moneybag:

Each player PM’ed me their bracket for the 3 playoff games between the Gladiators, Valiant, Uprising, and Excelsior along with the map differential and map scores they predicted would occur. The information was then evaluated to determine who would win in the following order:

1. Winning team
  2. Map differential
  3. Map score

This allowed us to have plenty of built-in tie-breaking mechanics to best determine the contest winner. If more than one person picked the winning team, we’d then look at the map differential; if more than one person also had a tied map differential score, we’d evaluate individual map scores; if there was somehow still a tie, my mind would have been blown given the volume of maps and potential for all sorts of scores. Thankfully we didn’t have to get that specific. The winner, with a crazy-accurate map differential, is @dontcallmejames! His predictions were:

Game 1:
Boston Uprising 3-0

Game 2:
New York Excelsior 3-1

Game 3:
New York Excelsior 3-1

Thanks to everyone who participated; if you’re curious where you ended up at the end of this, feel free to check the OP as I’ve tabulated and updated it for the entire Stage. As with last Stage, this was a blast. We may or may not do a Stage 4 contest (we’re debating skipping Stage 4 so we can do something bigger for the Season 1 Playoffs); details to follow after the off week :wink:

Good round guys, and congrats @dontcallmejames! Awesome job.