Overwatch Permanent Ban System To Go Live Next Week

overwatch

Blizzard has finally confirmed details regarding the permanent ban system being put in place that focuses on the Competitive Mode in Overwatch. The perma-ban system is set to kick off next Wednesday, September 27th. Community Manager Josh Engen revealed the details in depth on the official forums yesterday, outlining what a player has to commit in order to receive penalties and, worst case scenario, a perma-ban.

tl;dr players who receive three or more seasonal bans may be permanently banned from Competitive Play.

“For example, if a player earned seasonal bans in Seasons 2 and 4, and then earns another ban in Season 7, he or she will be eligible for a permanent ban from Competitive Play.”

1. In Competitive Play, leaving early or being kicked for inactivity during a match will make you ineligible to join a new competitive game until the original match has been completed or canceled. Players have the option to rejoin in-progress games; those who do not rejoin will receive a penalty.

2. If you leave or are kicked for inactivity within the first minute of the game, the entire match will be canceled and you will receive a penalty. The remaining players will receive neither a penalty nor a loss.

3. If you leave or are kicked for inactivity after the one-minute mark, you will be given two minutes to reconnect or rejoin the match. If you return, the match will resume normally. If not, you will receive a penalty and the remaining players will be given the option to leave without receiving a penalty (though they will still receive a loss).

I think this is good. Blizzard and other studios should be super-effing-strict with this stuff. I am so tired of assholes in competitive games.

Also, we need to get this same standard in Hero League for Heroes of the Storm.

I was on the receiving end of a flaw in this system.

During a ranked match, the power at my house flickered. Had to reboot router and PC. When I got back into Overwatch I had the option to rejoin match. I thought everything was fine, I rejoined and helped my team win.

My teammates received their SR for winning. I, however, lost 50 SR.

Once those 2 minutes are up it doesn’t matter what you do, you will lose SR. It made no difference that I helped my team to a win. I was doomed the whole time.

Blizzard support told me that the game is hard-coded to count you as a leaver. Their system has no way to realize you returned to a match once you are given that leaver status.

I understand the need for these types of systems but that particular rule is very bad, in my opinion. The experience really turned me off to Overwatch ranked play.

I can totally understand that. I think it’s also kind of shitty for your team, even if you eventually come back. Obviously power outage is beyond your control but I think there has to be a line drawn where you have to reliably engage with the match. Otherwise everyone would have the same excuse.

It’s like missing a court date or something. If your car breaks down of course that’s outside of your control and not something you planned but there’s really no other option but to count it against you.

While I can definitely see fringe cases where this will produce an unwanted effect, generally, I expect the people on the receiving end of this new system will be deserving of the consequences; if I have to take a hit once in a great while do to some extenuating circumstances for the overall betterment of the community and the quality of its collective experience, I’m good for it :wink:

It can’t be that hard to track your status for the entirety of the match. Sometimes a computer crash can take someone longer than 2min to get booted back into the game (even with an SSD). I say give someone until the end of that specific match. Won’t solve all the issues, but can help.

The SR system is bad this season. So many throwers and people really just dont care. I think it’s good that they are banning people. Everyone has a smurf account just to destroy noobs.

I have observed both of these as well. I feel like I’m the only person who doesn’t have a second or third account.

But I only had one account in League as well.

I dont either. I was mid Platinum and I kept getting smurfs who were throwing. It’s crazy. My SR has dropped for the first time since I started my journey to Diamond. It’s really frustrating.

Overwatch :frowning: so much potential wasted on children and trolls. Maybe one day they’ll introduce permanent PvE content, that’d help