PlayStation: "Thank you for your patience."

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! Since access to PlayStation Network was impacted during the holidays, we wanted to show our appreciation for your patience by offering all PlayStation Plus members that had an active membership or free trial on December 25th a membership extension of five days. The extension will be automatically applied, so no action is necessary to receive the extension. We will post additional information here on PlayStation.Blog when the extension becomes available. If your membership or trial ends before the extension is available, you will receive five days of Plus to enjoy once the extension becomes available (we will notify you when).

In addition, sometime this month we will announce that for a limited time, we will be offering a 10 percent discount code good for a one-time discount off a total cart purchase in the PlayStation Store as a thank you to all PSN members.

This discount can be used toward content available on PS Store including blockbuster new releases, award winning indie games, game add-ons and season passes, and an enormous selection of TV and Movies.

In case you missed it, click here to read about all the great games included in the January 2015 PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection lineup.

Thanks again to all our loyal PlayStation fans and welcome to our newest console owners. Wishing you all a very happy holiday.

Emphasis mine. 5 free days to make up for outage and a 10% off discount code.

That’s admirable of Play Station, really they didn’t have to do nothing, it not like was their falt. However, I do hope they learned a lesson in security.

Thanks Play Station.

Eh either you can shrug off DDOS or not. I bet they are looking at how their traffic is handled at their NOC in a new way now.

Make sure you’re watching for that discount code!

That’s admirable of Play Station, really they didn’t have to do nothing, it not like was their falt. However, I do hope they learned a lesson in security.

I’m saying Hell no to this. It would be one thing if they were a bit more transparent than they are. for at least 4 days they spammed the same line with a bot with no information. Nothing saying “your information is safe”. It would be something else if a real person put out a post every couple hours, instead of a bot responding to every single person that posted.

To me, the extent of their information sharing amounted to “Shit’s down, *shrug”

I don’t think they are doing enough. Make me feel good about your service Sony.

We don’t even know if a DDOS is what brought the services down. All the info we have are from a couple internet people who claimed to have brought it down. Same group says they stopped on Friday, three days before it was even sorta stable.

I hope it counts for pre-orders.

Asking a corp as large as Sony to be more “transparent” isn’t going to happen. Based on a variety of internet traffic websites (some of which were linked to our forums) all signs point to a DDOS; a statement such as “your information is safe” is completely unnecessary given the manner of the assault on their infrastructure: their servers were being overburdened with requests, not infiltrated or compromised.

We can all jump around and be pissed but what happened happened and is (for now) over. It happened to Microsoft too; this wasn’t an exclusively Sony issue. They’re trying to do some right by their customers with this peace offering that will cost them money the same way the apparent flaws in their network is going to cost them money due to wavering customer confidence.

Don’t go around biting the hand that feeds you; I’d rather them make a small gesture like this (which they didn’t have to make) than do nothing at all :wink:

We do know that DDOS was the issue with both Microsoft and Sony connectivity over last week. We also know it was responsible for several other cases including some that involved TOR networks.

In terms of transparency, there are things that can be done of course but take into account the media’s ignorant understanding of what DDOS attacks are. When you have articles that Sony and Microsoft were “hacked” and implying that there were security breaches, you have to be very careful with how much responsibility you take. Granted, in my opinion I would have liked Sony to come out and describe what was going on. I don’t think that kind of education campaign would have ultimately eased anyone’s mind though.

Few companies can say they understand how warped the perception in people’s minds can be more than Facebook. I know first hand how media ignorance about data and internet technologies can be a huge mountain to climb. We often take the position of “less is more” when it comes to talking to the press. Some people will always find something to blame on you.

Keep in mind that Microsoft’s Xbox Live service runs on Azure. That’s a huge positive for Xbox and they do get that checkbox in their Pro column. But it’s a completely different business that has its own resources and clients. When Xbox Live goes down, enterprise customers who are paying for Azure services suffer. This is good for gamers that use Xbox Live but it’s also something that should be understood when talking about Sony.

Sony is building up that infrastructure from the ground up for PlayStation Network. The pre-Azure Xbox service (Xbox & part way through Xbox 360’s life) you will certainly remember it was not anything to write home about and at that time there wasn’t nearly as much as there is to support now.

Uh, ok man, maybe a valium and some counseling, defiantly sencing some anger issues here; easy now.

I was waiting for your input, @Vocino. A :thumbsup: for your post!

So… i guess PlayStation updated the policy for the purchase and added to the exclusion that you cannot use it on pre-orders…

Now that I cant use it on pre-orders, it really puts a damper on what I want… I may not even use it.

It’s a bit disappointing, but still better then nothing, use it on some indie games or something. No point letting it go to waste, I do wish I had known about this before I bought Lords of the Fallen last week though.