Poll: Minecraft Server

minecraft
pc

@GuardianX and @Auth are interested in a Minecraft server. From research I’ve done on the links that @GuardianX has sent me, the server will require about 1-2GB of RAM (storage is cheap and basically irrelevant in cost).

Additional cost on our server infrastructure would be around $10 per month. Before I go down that road, I’d like to make sure people are actually going to use it.

• Yes, Minecraft me.
  • No, I won’t be logging in.

Either that, or we can take donations or something. I don’t really play Minecraft so I’m not super excited about keeping a server running and maintaining it.

Also, here are the server variables, let me know what these should be set to:

#Minecraft server properties
#Sun Aug 24 23:01:49 EDT 2014
generator-settings=
op-permission-level=4
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
announce-player-achievements=true
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
force-gamemode=false
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=false
spawn-animals=true
hardcore=false
snooper-enabled=true
online-mode=true
resource-pack=
pvp=true
difficulty=1
enable-command-block=false
gamemode=0
player-idle-timeout=0
max-players=20
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=10
motd=A Minecraft Server

@DracoIsmenium @Crazy_Matt and me were talking about this last night. Decided not to play because @Crazy_Matt wanted to burn our houses down. Having our own server would be awesome.

I don’t plan on playing myself at the moment, but I pulled this from their site:

Statistics
PC/Mac version
16,463,480 people have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 13,855 people bought the game.

It has the potential to add members to our community.

Just a heads, those stats are for a vanilla server and I know most people want to play on a modded server which would be a harsher requirement.

the 4-5gb was the estimate.

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/mod-packs

yogscraft or direwolf20

some of the others are pretty advanced.

I don’t mind donating, just need a “better” estimate of the costs.

I assume 10 dollars a month wouldn’t cover a 4-6 gb ram increase.

as a reply to a reply, we also don’t mind doing more of the heavy lifting relating to how the server is handled for stability and community.

I question whether 4-5GB is really required from what I’ve read. I did read some estimates for that but it seems like quite a lot and I wonder if that’s because of poor resource management, setup, or optimization.

Then again, they may be accurate and Minecraft server itself is just poorly optimized or simply uses a shit ton of RAM.

What do you mean? As in SSH?

I think @Auth was saying that he would need FTP, but I think that is pretty hardcore access, if I’m wrong then ya FTP.

Also yes, the client isn’t great about optimization, the estimates I was listing were based on experience from myself and auth with the system layout they had on a server he was renting.

I’m not sure what he would be able to do via FTP. How would you restart the server, install packages, etc? I could maybe allow SFTP at a minimum but in general it’s kind of not a good idea.

Truth be told, I had a yogscraft server going for a couple months and we didn’t have much in the way of issues. It could have been a faulty mod causing issues that was plaguing @Auth.

The amount of mods being run on the server usually causes the ram requirement bump because of automation within MC. There is also a mod pack that allows world chunks to remain in memory to aide in Automation, without the “world anchor” nothing in the area automates unless a player is active in the chunk. I don’t mind having the later be the case over the former. Automation < server stability.

I think there are ways of doing it without needing FTP access, I’d have to look around though. I think the tool everyone used previous was Bukkit

I had mentioned that when managing a server with creeperhost I used SFTP to manage the files/backups, etc. There was a website UI that allowed me to restart the server and whatnot.

That said, I’m not fluent/familiar much at all with Ubuntu or Linux in general, so I wouldn’t even know where to begin even given access. With a vanilla Minecraft server, there really shouldn’t be any need for all that jazz.

Well, I think we should start at 1GB. I can easily add more ram if it’s required. Let’s see if having top-tier hardware improves the need of just throwing dumb ram at the server. It very well may.

I can install a web UI if you have a link for one.

This. The way it generally handles things is less than optimal, unfortunately. Also, the more spread out the players get, the rougher it gets on the RAM because Minecraft keeps a certain number of “chunks” (16x16x[max height]) loaded in RAM around each player.

Ok, I did a test and was able to get the server running relatively easily. It’s made in Java which may explain why it’s RAM hungry.

root@hoth:~/minecraft# java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
[23:01:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.7.4
[23:01:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading properties
[23:01:33] [Server thread/WARN]: server.properties does not exist
[23:01:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating new properties file
[23:01:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Default game type: SURVIVAL
[23:01:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating keypair
[23:01:34] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
[23:01:34] [Server thread/WARN]: Failed to load operators list: java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./ops.txt (No such file or directory)
[23:01:34] [Server thread/WARN]: Failed to load white-list: java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./white-list.txt (No such file or directory)
[23:01:34] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "world"
[23:01:34] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing start region for level 0
[23:01:35] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 3%
[23:01:36] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 5%
[23:01:38] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 9%
[23:01:39] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 16%
[23:01:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 23%
[23:01:41] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 33%
[23:01:42] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 39%
[23:01:43] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 49%
[23:01:44] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 57%
[23:01:45] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 67%
[23:01:46] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 78%
[23:01:47] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 87%
[23:01:48] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 93%
[23:01:48] [Server thread/INFO]: Done (14.682s)! For help, type "help" or "?"

I don’t know if any of these are helpful, but it’s a decent spread from what I can tell.

That makes sense. It’s also worth noting that these servers have ridiculously fast SSD drives which tend to allow for lower RAM usage since you generally don’t have to keep as much in instant access.

We tend to jump games so maybe we should play on vanilla first do some stuff there and decide on a modded one later?

That is what I pushed to auth earlier as well.

The issues is kinda 2 fold:

1. Lots of people WON’T play un-modded (personally, I don’t mind either way, playing with people is always fun)
  2. Better to square away the needs (cost wise) before we commit (if that is even an issue)

What would be the difference in cost between 1-2gb and 2-4?

About $10 per gig. So $10 1GB, $40 4GB, etc. In any increment you’d like. Storage and bandwidth is not an issue.