Possible new rig for Lyteforce

So I’ve been humming & hawwing about building my own PC and think I might be close to finally doing it. One of my podcast listeners put together the following for me based on my needs and figures it will get the job done (OW & FNBR are the only two PC titles I play, and my max budget is $1500 CAD).

My plan - should I finally pull the trigger - is to use this new rig as my primary PC and my current Alienware Alpha R2 (yes, I know… same) as my streaming PC.

Anything you’d recommend I consider?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $232.89 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $92.32 @ Vuugo
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LED 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $123.06 @ Canada Computers
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Powertop
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB OC Video Card $299.00 @ Powertop
Case Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $95.18 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $116.02 @ Canada Computers
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $144.76 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1273.22
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1233.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 22:06 EDT-0400
3 Likes

This list is mysteriously lacking a sound card as well.

I guess my first question would be: If you only play two PC games then what is the reason for this upgrade? Those particular games have very low specs. Are you wanting to play other PC games?

Or maybe you feel the need for a two-PC streaming setup? I have researched this in the past and honestly found it to be more of a headache than I wanted. It is much easier to go with multiple monitors on a single PC. Or if you are just wanting to play Overwatch and Fortnite then it would be much cheaper to just build a second streaming PC for a few hundred bucks.

So what are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

Given that your build is an micro ATX in a mini tower, I don’t know that you will get much more bang at that price point.

If it were me, I’d be using this power supply instead because I’ve had great experiences with EVGA products and customer service/support in the past but have never owned anything (maybe not even heard of) SeaSonic.

I’m not up on the Gen 2 Ryzen stuff, but just make sure the RAM you go with is actually certified by the motherboard manufacturer or getting it to clock appropriately could be misery (it certainly was with Gen 1 Ryzen).

0 Likes

Has to be an oversight.

I’m currently on an Alienware Alpha R2 (Dave Lee has a great video on it) and while it gets the job done gaming, trying to stream from the PC at the same time becomes problematic.

I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t know what this means.

Would PCPartPicker indicate that? Or is more research required?

I’ve often described my knowledge & understand of the inner-workings of a PC to that of a car. While I can potentially change my oil & top up the fluids, ain’t no way I could ever do more than that with a car - and pretty much the equivalent with a computer.

0 Likes

You’re dealing with a small form factor (micro ATX is a smaller mobo than traditional ATX; notably shorter) in a mini tower case (so your internal space will be limited) which is probably why there’s a GTX 1660 (physically-small GPU) on your list and no after-market cooler of any sort for the CPU. I have big hands and had a miserable time with the only mini-tower I ever built, but I’m probably an outlier given how much more popular they are these days; I know a number of folks around these parts are built in them. I’m in something a bit bigger :wink:

More research required. Most RAM will work with most mobo’s, but mobo manufacturers put out a list of specific RAM sticks they’ve tested and know will work as intended. I’m anal about it in my builds; not everyone (probably most) aren’t. The list will be on the mobo manufacturer’s website (sometimes a bit hidden; you’re looking for the Memory QVL page). Like I said, it was a huge deal with Gen 1 Ryzen, but I don’t know enough about Gen 2 to say whether you need to sweat it or not. For an Intel rig I’d be less concerned, but given how relatively-new Ryzen still is, it might be worth the extra legwork and bit of money (if needed for specific RAM) to be sure.

0 Likes

What are the specs of your current system? I see the Alpha R2 has multiple configs. Maybe there are some cheaper solutions rather than purchasing a whole new PC.

I assume you are using OBS as your streaming software?

0 Likes

This post is perfect timing, thanks @lyteforce . I am planning to set up a new rig in the next couple weeks.

I’m also thinking about desk recommendations. Maybe something built in or a standing desk?

1 Like

Can everyone please stop building their rigs 1 month before new CPUs are due out?
kthanks.

1 Like

The PCMR denizen has spoken!

0 Likes

If you wait for the perfect time you’ll never upgrade.

0 Likes

I could understand if it were like… 4 months out… But it’s July 7th…

0 Likes

But but but JEDI FALLEN ORDER

1 Like

Need a new CPU to watch the trailer? lol

Nothing decent releases before July 7th.

0 Likes

Hmmm… I would not consider my hands small. So maybe I need to make changes? Considering this will be my first build EVER, I’m thinking easy is the better choice over “new hawtness.”

This is what it currently has inside.

specs

SLOBS. I like SLOBS.

I haz no smartz. In all seriousness, I guess I didn’t put two & two together. I know nothing about building a CPU and just decided to finally pull the trigger having spent YEARS sitting on the fence about it. I’m not in a hurry, so I can look to wait… but will that wait bear fruit in my case?

0 Likes

Probably; older chips go down in price when newer chips release, so even if you don’t get the new hawtness, the stuff you’re eyeballing is likely to get a bit cheaper.

1 Like

I suppose I can give things a month. :slight_smile:

2 Likes