PS4: 55 Million, Xbox One: 26 Million

“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S. and Xbox One was the only eighth generation console with year-over-year growth,” the representative said. “In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3. In November and December we saw Xbox Live engagement reach an all-time high of 3.9 billion hours, up 23 percent compared to 2015 driven by fan excitement for the greatest games lineup.”

Woo. But Sony is still crushing them.

So people who own games on their PC through Windows Live are somehow part of the numbers they’re using when discussing the console? Legitimate question (not fanboying): based on the ecosystem they’ve created, is that a fair metric to be used when discussing the XB1 specifically (as in, is that relevant to the health of the console in a meaningful way), are they using it to deflect any potential negativity and inflate numbers in the wake of not reporting official sales to avoid appearing weak compared to Sony’s numbers, or some combination of the two?

Certainly. Win10 has an Xbox app native to the OS (never owned 8 so no idea if it had the app also) which I automatically sign into when I boot up. The app seems to keep track of every game I play; it lists my recent games on Steam and Origin. Unfortunately it does not award me Xbox achievements for those games.

So I guess you don’t actually have to own an Xbox Live game, just log into that app.

Of course not. It should be Xbox Live, since the service is available on both platforms. But maybe there’s no way to differentiate between XB1 or PC logins?

I would argue that PC and Xbox are separate ecosystems. They shouldn’t be but that’s how Microsoft has approached it thus far. As a developer, I’m choosing between them or choosing to make the investment to support both.

While that is indeed true, I also think it’s fair to say that MS has made it so developing for both (PC and XB1) is far less of a task than before, as the same API is used on both platforms.

It seems like MS is pushing more towards the Xbox being an accessory/add-on to the UWP. Buy a game on the UWP, and play it on your PC, your tablet, your xbox… I’m not sure they care that much about what hardware people are buying, since the money from consoles isn’t made from the hardware… Hell… Sony sold the PS3 at a loss for a while… It’s all about the number of users you have to offer someone to develop for your platform.

My 4 year old son sometimes streams our XB1 to a PC just because he wants to play in a different room. It’s very simple to do with Win10.

I believe you have to download an extra app to use Remote Play on PS4, and you can’t use any split-screen functions. I’m pretty sure we have played split-screen Plants vs Zombies on the streamed XB1.

I just had this wild idea that I should connect an XB1 to my 2nd PC monitor. No idea what the benefit would be but I might do it.

They stopped caring about hardware sales numbers, publicly, when it was clear the ps4 was head shoulders ahead in sales.

I’d be curious to know what the windows store’s market share is for digital sales as compared to Steam, Origin and the like.