PS4 good choice?

ps4

So being a console noob what am I getting out of my ps 4 purchase? Is it the cool kid on the block? Can I talk to it? What’s cool about it and why did I buy it over the xbox 1? Someone with knowledge speak on it. I love racing and sports games. Pre ordered destiny. Am I going to be happy with my purchase ? Thanks for any info you can impart. :wink:

seems like this this group definitely leans towards ps4. I’m an xbox guy all the way. I’ve always had both consoles in each generation, but this time i skipped the ps4. when they were announced there was a lot of hate towards xbox and then where was ps4 fanboy backlash. now it seems the dust is kind of settling. i will admit that ps4 probably does edge out the xbox one in the hardware category, but xbox will always be my home. that’s where i’ve built my main friend base. to me, playing with friends in a multiplayer game is worth sacrificing a sliver of performance (which is most likely imperceptible anyway).

that being said, they’re probably dead even if you’re new to the whole scene. at least dead even enough where you can’t really make a bad choice. if you want to play with all the strats guys, then you probably made the better choice.

I’m not a huge expert on the difference in hardware but the membership is different between the two. When i checked the other day a 1 year subscription to X-box live was $10 more than a year subscription to x-box plus. When i was using x-box live you had to pay to get online and play with your friends. This might have changed i don’t know. The PSN for PlayStation lets me make friends, go to the web, us Netflix and such without the PSN plus. With the plus you get extra benefits such as content within a game and other things. I chose PS4 originally because i didn’t like most of the stuff x-box one said it was going to do. Microsoft has back-stepped a bit and everything that i didn’t like about it is pretty much not there anymore. I’m not a console gamer so i could be giving you bad information but this is what i could tell. Please correct me if I’ve misspoken.

it’s about right. before PSN even had a paid online service, i was still an xbox guy. the xbox live service is $50/year and it’s far superior to the PSN online setup. I was also a subscriber to PS+ for a couple years, and they started offering free games first (which xbox later copied), but the service itself was terrible. the in-game chatting was bad, the interface was bad, etc. I totally didn’t mind paying the premium for a premium service. with this generation though, it seems to be more equal. the playstation service is much better, and the cost is nearly the same. and they both offer free and discounted games every month.

this generation of consoles wasn’t supposed to be equal. microsoft had some fairly original ideas for progressing the console gaming industry. the problem was that people weren’t ready for change. microsoft wanted to minimize or eliminate the use for hard media, in favor of downloaded and streaming games. people didn’t want that because they wanted to buy used games and trade with their friends. maybe i’m biased, but i just saw it as a reason for people to complain. i was fully willing to go along for the ride. microsoft was pushing the envelope with many of the originally announced features, i guess they just pushed it too far and it exploded in their faces. sorry to turn this thread into a late-to-the-game console war thread. and i’m sorry if i come across as a xbox fanboy, but the truth is - deep down they’re really the same. it just depends on where you have the most fun. if you’re gut told you to buy a ps4, and you have fun with the ps4, then you made the right decision.

Here’s my quick opinion on the debate:

• PlayStation 4’s goal is to be the best gaming console on the market.
  • Xbox One’s goal is to be the best set-top box on the market.

At face value, I would choose Xbox One because I love consolidation. The concept of being able to replace several devices with an Xbox One seems great. The problem is, Microsoft falls way short of this objective.

During the initial concept discussions of the Xbox One project, we were looking at DVR functionality and CableCard support. Later this was dropped yet the TV component of the value proposition remained in their marketing. The downside is gaming suffered.

PlayStation 4 remains unencumbered by these side objectives and focuses on a simple goal of providing the best gaming experience possible. For me, that made the choice easy and brought me from my original Xbox One preorder to ultimately purchasing a PS4 (2 actually, and still no Xbox One).

I wish I had read this last December…

It should also be noted that besides launching at a better price point, PS4 has vastly superior hardware for gaming. Well, perhaps not vastly superior, but the RAM type each console went with is making a significant difference. --It’s got a lot to due with why XBox One runs 720p native while PS4 uses 1080p native.-- In short, PS4 will almost assuredly look prettier in its end state, but it’s all about what games are developed/optimized for which console and how quickly developers are able to capitalize on each system’s capabilities. On that front, the PS4 is supposedly vastly easier to work with than the PS3, which was purportedly a nightmare to develop on versus the XBox 360, so it’s safe to assume Sony learned a lesson last generation.

An explanation of the RAM differences:

Decent comparison video showing the difference between XBox One/PS4/PC using Watchdogs:

not to add fuel to a fire that’s already been burned…but the xbox is not 720p native. it’s just that a lot of the AAA titles are running at 720p or 1080p with reduced frame rates compared to the PS4 versions. it’s definitely 1080p native. specific titles may not be.

and i disagree with the “vastly superior” comment.

Well “native” is a misnomer in this case. There’s no such thing as “native” resolution on a GPU. It will output what you want it to proportional to performance. Both Xbox One and PS4 could do 4k resolutions too. They share similar GPUs.

What matters is the software and firmware that powers the console’s hardware and the ability (or ease) that an engineer can work with it to produce high quality output. Microsoft have different priorities for their Xbox product line than Sony with PlayStation. Thus, the product scope for the firmware that powers their devices is different.

This is not necessarily better or worse even. It’s just a difference. Playing 4k movies or running many different background processes as applications is a different goalset than rendering 1080p 3D graphics or optimizing a single foreground application.

In comes down to personal preference. I don’t need Skype running in the background. I don’t need to watch TV while I play games on the same screen. My personal opinion is that a lot of the Xbox technologies needed to achieve the kind of “one ultimate box” concept just aren’t there. Maybe they will be in the next Xbox One iteration (hopefully with CableCard support).

For me, I want firmware that optimizes for a single instance of 3D rendering. That means better framerates at 1080p.

Thank you guys for totally confusing the hell outta me…LOL

Seriously thanks for all the input…im just using it for a gaming machine and nothing else so it seems like i made the right choice for my purpose.

PS4 Life!

Correction: PC Master Race 4 Life! PSPoor and XBone are both secondary!

I updated the inaccuracy you’ve noted regarding the resolution, but it’s really tough to look at the two systems’ hardware and say that, with gaming in mind and in terms of raw system power, the PS4 isn’t crushing the XBox One.

[(hopefully) informative, pseudo-PS4 fanboy post incoming; you’ve been warned]

For cross platform titles there won’t be a huge, glaring difference where PS4 just shits on the XBox One because it’s bad business to make a game look terrible if you’re trying to sell it. Developers will, as they have previously, work with the lowest common denominator to ensure they reach a maximum number of customers. As the Watchdogs video I posted previously showed, there is some difference, but honestly it still looks pretty decent on XBox One despite being at a lower resolution with weaker textures.

Even still, there are plenty of other examples of the PS4 outperforming the XBox One, i.e. Battlefield 4 where the campaign runs at a higher resolution with a higher and more consistent frame rate on PS4 and Sniper Elite 3 where there’s the choice of screen tearing at lower frame rates (highlighted by a pair of red lines at the edge of the screen) or a significant drop in frame rate with the adaptive v-sync enabled. [Note: all games on XBox One can have the adaptive v-sync enabled; I included two without it to show the raw horsepower comparison.] While this lock at 30fps vs the 60fps the PS4 strives to achieve (and does, most of the time) may not seem like a huge deal to people, I believe it is a huge detractor. A lot of people don’t seem to care or claim to not notice the difference. Most of the time I attribute this to the fact that youtube (where most videos are uploaded/watched) has been locked at 30fps (which is changing, btw), meaning you have to visit a website specifically setup to show the difference side by side.

To be fair, there are examples of of the PS4 having a hard time producing the same quality of presentation when stacked up against a v-sync-enabled Xbox One. This video in particular shows frequent instances of screen tearing on the PS4 where the XBox One had none, but also illistrates how chuggy things look when the XBox One does drop below it’s 30fps for a significant stretch (around the 2:22 mark). Methinks those devs needed to spend a bit more time with their game if some of those scenes are having issues on both platforms.

Now I’d like to take a minute to do some hardware comparisons to substantiate/explain the above observations and my previous statements.

The CPU’s are nearly identical. XBox One is actually running at a slightly-higher clock speed than the PS4 (1.75GHz vs 1.6GHz) but that was an adjustment made following the aftermath of E3 last year, much like their adjustment of the GPU clock speed previously, when it was pretty apparent to everyone the XBox One was behind the PS4 and at a higher price point. There have been some claims that the CPU in the PS4 still preforms better than the XBox One despite it’s lower speed, but I’m not convinced by this isolated example that this is true.

Moving on the the HDD, the PS4 out of the box has more available space than the XBox One and is much easier to get to than the XBox One’s. 362GB vs 408GB, in reality, is only 1-2 games. Sony did have an edge with external HDD support for a bit, but Microsoft has brought that around recently as well.

Finally, I’ll touch on the GPU’s. Part of the issue the XBox One ran into at launch was a restriction on developers to hold 10% of the total GPU power (which was already ~30-50% behind the PS4 on paper) for the Kinect which they recently dropped. The XBox One notably lags behind by having only 768 shaders to the PS4’s 1152. That said, in terms of graphics performance (resolution and frame rates) there’s a pretty clear difference between XBox One and PS4.

Other than that, the only differences (design/aesthetics notwithstanding) are the Kinect, an HDMI throughput on the XBox One, and Bluetooth 2.1 on the PS4.

Now, I did previously downplay my “vastly superior” comment, but I’m going to plant my ass firmly in the PS4 corner and say, with confidence, that the hardware is, if not “vastly superior,” pretty damn superior.

[/endrant]

TL;DR (rant-free): I’m not saying games look bad on XBox One or they are a glimpse into heaven on the PS4, but from a purely-technical standpoint, especially with regards to gaming, PS4>XBox One. Part of this can be attributed to the purpose and vision behind their respective designs, but numbers are numbers. I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :wink:

PC Master Race

Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplayer!

Amazing post @Auth. Very well formatted and written. Thanks for this.

@Auth for President! But in all seriousness, well thought out and great presentation. I’ll now go back and hide in my “wish I had picked the ps4 over Xbox One” hole.

There’s still a large market for Xboxes. You could probably sell it on ebay for almost or at retail price if you have all the packaging and everything.

i didn’t mean to trigger a major debate or anything…but thanks for providing some great information. I will be honest and say that i’m (perhaps more than) slightly disappointed that the xbox one is “inferior” when it comes to the hardware. i guess i’m loyal to a fault to xbox. but my point is/was: even if ps4 edges out the xbox one in all aspects of hardware and performance, your purchase should not only be based on that. I knew going into my decision that the xbox one was a little lackluster, but i had to consider my friend-base (at the time) and my past experiences with both companies’ past consoles and online services. in the past i had far better experiences with my xbox 360 and xbox (original) than i did with my ps3 and ps2 respectively. and again, i have a core group of friends that remained loyal to xbox as well.

i’m just trying to say that if you’re having fun, then you made the right decision. it’s not always about hype and numbers.

I’m sure you are right and I could get most if my money back.

There is something about walking into the living room and navigating my tv from off to a netflix movie using only voice commands.

My daughter really enjoys the dancing games and skyping with her grandparents in CA via the kinect.

I’m sure if a ps4 is in my future it would be as an addition not as a replacement.

Here is an intresting prospective supporting XBox one:
Source: http://bgr.com

Sony took advantage of Microsoft’s early missteps to ensure that the PlayStation 4 would come out on top as the new console generation kicked off, but after being on the market for over half a year, one surprising disparity has begun to arise in the Xbox One’s favor. Despite a steady stream of updates on both consoles, the PS4 has gained very little in the way of new features while the Xbox One is loaded with functionality it didn’t have at launch.

This has been the case for months, as Microsoft has been sticking to substantial, consistent monthly updates while Sony has taken a scattershot approach without adding anything notable to the PS4. The imbalance came to a head this week when Sony released firmware update 1.74, which, according to Sony’s description, “improves stability of some software.”

In comparison, the July update for the Xbox One added Snap Mode for achievements, new languages for voice control the ability to “like” Game DVR clips and more. The next update will incorporate feedback from Xbox One owners to bring activity feed updates, a low battery notification, 3D Blu-ray functionality and the ability to remotely purchase and download content from your mobile device.

PS4 owners are understandably frustrated that their console counterparts have received dozens of updates over the past several months while one of the most exciting additions to the PS4 is the option to dim the light bar on the DualShock 4 controller.

“This is really starting to get annoying,” writes Reddit user DarkSlayer 224. “Xbox One has gotten like 8 major updates since launch and we’ve gotten 1… Please Sony, hurry up with MP3 support, DLNA and name changing!”

The lack of updates hasn’t been enough to deter gamers from buying the PS4 en masse this summer, but if this trend continues, the Xbox One is going to be an entirely new console before we can even play music on our PS4s. Now that Xbox One sales have picked up, Sony might need to rethink its lackadaisical update schedule.

Im an Xbox1 guy. You guys provided a lot of good technical information, much of which is over my head. I chose the Xbox for several reasons:

1. I was already committed to the Xbox online experience, having played through and Xbox 360 for years.

2. I think the online multiplayer experience is superior, and will probably continue to be. Its $5/month. Drink one less latte and be satisfied.

3. I think the Xbox1 has more room to grow over the years. Its true, as many of you pointed out, that the launch was a little lackluster. Since then, however, Microsoft has been expanding on the XB1’s capabilities. TV integration was poor at first, and still continues to be a little weak. New updates are coming that should expand and simplify this capability. I have read that DVR functionality is on the horizon (even though I’m a cable cutter).

4. Although the hardware edge goes to the PS4, I just didn’t care enough about that. Games are too fast paced for me anyways to be a pixel peeper. Its easy to compare a side by side still; its another thing entirely to do so in game with bullets flying at you. Since I personally give the edge to XB1’s multiplayer experience, this made my decision easier.

5. Kinect: I don’t use it much now, granted. Ive played a few dancing games. As my kids get older, I think this will be a lot of fun with family oriented games. Voice and gesture commands is also pretty cool. If you really don’t want Kinect, you can buy the console without it.

6. I guess I liked the option to play the next gen Halo at some point.

In my opinion, if you want the “fastest”, “most bestest” hardware, then get a PS4. Your pecker will be marginally larger. However, if you care a little bit more about the online experience, and future expandability, get the XB1. You will get more action.