Quick review of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (no spoilers):

It’s really different and really good. Gareth Edwards brought something new to the universe and it paid off. It’s probably my second favorite Star Wars film of all time—losing out to Empire Strikes Back only because of nostalgia.

The first half of Rogue One is a bit of a slow build and you may start to question everything you ever believed in. As you see more and more friendly faces and inside references, you learn how true to the universe the film is and it eases some of that. By the second half, you’re invested enough to receive the very big and boomy action that comes next.

The CGI is absolutely unbelievable—by which I mean it’s 100% believable! It really makes you think about what the movie industry will be like in 10 years.

The world is dirty and the scenes are detailed. It’s dystopian and cluttered.

I will say that you really need to understand the Star Wars saga to appreciate the film. That might be a bad thing if this is supposed to be a true standalone. Watching A New Hope first is probably enough if you want to get by. If you really otherwise don’t enjoy Star Wars, then just read the opening crawl and watch the first scene of Episode IV before seeing Rogue One.

Afterwards, you’ll surely want to see how it all turns out with those Death Star plans.

I give it 4 stars and Travis’ new Star Wars ranking of awesome:

1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  2. Rogue One (2016)
  3. Return of the Jedi (1983)
  4. The Force Awakens (2015)
  5. A New Hope (1977)
  6. Revenge of the Sith (2005)
  7. Attack of the Clones (2002)
  8. The Phantom Menace (1999)

Where will Episode VIII (2017) fit?

(Originally posted on Facebook)

Fantastic, glad you liked it. I’ll be seeing it tonight. I played in Scarif all last night on SWBF. Did you read Tarkin or Catalyst? I’ve done both, I hope they really add to the experience.

I haven’t read them but I keep seeing them pop up in my feed and I’ve been considering it. Recommended?

Shouldn’t ‘The Force Awakens’ and ‘A New Hope’ be tied?

Did you see it in 3D or normal? In my area i had a lot more movie time options in 3D…seeing it Saturday.

I do recommend Tarkin and Catalyst. Tarkin is a sort-of “buddy movie” style tale featuring Wilhuff and Vader. Catalyst details the web that Orson wove to get the laser built.

I saw it in 2D. Going to see it in 3D tonight.

I hope 3D is worth it…I do have these epic 3D glasses from Regal after all…

Back from 3D showing, it was good but not a crazy 3D experience like say Transformers. Depends if you like it subtle or want really in your face 3D I guess.

I am not reading this. Don’t buy your tickets from Fandango ever. I bought opening day tickets the day they went on sale and Fandango sold me amazing tickets for a showing that AMC actually started 1 hr 30 mins earlier. Fandango sold me the tickets with the wrong time listed on their app, and some time before today revised the time but did not notify purchasers that the time had be wrong/changed. Even today, when I went to the theater the app showed the incorrect show time.

Now I have to wait till tomorrow in the middle of the night to watch it in less than ideal seats. Thanks Fandango!

Sorry for the vent, I will return tomorrow to actually read the thread. :slight_smile:

Man that sucks. I don’t like Fandango either. Most major theaters have their own apps these days.

This might cheer you up then. The Alamo played it before the movie yesterday.