Recommendations for Gaming Headphones?

I’m in need of some studio type headphones for gaming and music in my office. The gaming headsets I have also have a mic but I use my studio mic exclusively so it’s superfluous and annoying.

I’m seriously considering a pair of Beats Studio. Anyone used them or like/hate them?:

This guy does a ton of product reviews and I think he nails the differences on the headsets.

In the comments he talks about the different products he compares I think:

Beats Pro vs Audio Technica ATH-M50: http://youtu.be/et_PWifUd1w

Beats Audio - Explained: http://youtu.be/Cdbn_pmxFic

Audio Technica ATH-M50x Review: http://youtu.be/y5DyEYuvF3o

Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Beats Studio 2.0

Stop shortening your links.

I didn’t that was how they came on his about ><

EDIT:

Got it though, I’ll try to not shorten them.

A follow up though, does shortening them also kill the forwarding to our store?

I’m hoping this guy gets to an actual review at some point. I understand what profit margin is.

Yes, that’s how people keep their referral link from being rewritten by something like our javascript.

Ahh, cool to know!

The problem with the Audio Technica ATH-M50x is that they look like total ass.

Sennheisers all the way if you want a set of serious headphones. They are THE best bang for the buck. I absolutely love mine for music listening.

Personally I have the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro’s and absolutely love them.

It appears they’re discontinued now, but there are other models of course.

This is the biggest upset I experience as a bit of an audiophile with live mixing and recording experience.
Who cares what they look like?

Headphones exist to reproduce audio to the best of their ability for their user in a compact package; presentation and style shouldn’t even enter into the discussion. The question that needs to be asked is this:
Is it the most accurate reproduction of sound in your budget, yes or no?

Nobody who knows anything about audio quality will say shit to someone because their headphones aren’t #420SWAGIN

/rant

The design of a product has a lot more to do with the experience than just looking at it on a shelf. Ask Steve Jobs.

Functionality/comfort != appearance, IMO. The only thing I have to go off of is your claim that they look like ass :wink:

As a long-time user of Audio-Technica products I can tell you they are quite comfortable (a claim Beats has never really been able to make) and produce a much more accurate sound replication than Beats could ever hope to at a similar price point.

Must…resist…

Your equation does not accurately represent what product design is. You are prioritizing an aesthetic category out of existence. All I’m saying is that aesthetically pleasing devices have a place in your list of priorities, especially if you’re putting them in a nice studio that you want to feel good in.

I sense a horrible losing argument about how Apple sucks because it costs more so resisting it is good since that’s patently false.

This is the difference between our opinion then: what a set of headphones looks like is about as far down my list of priorities as it can be provided it does the best job it can at what I bought it for, whereas for you it’s at least somewhat important in its relation to the atmosphere of your studio. I absolutely care more about the sound reproduction and comfort than looks (it really doesn’t enter the equation most of the time).

Thankfully, quality audio products tend to be flat black and not hot pink and teal or I might have a slightly-different stance on the matter :wink:

I was going to go with the point that Jony Ive is the large deciding factor on apple being successful. Steve Jobs did have a vision and as a business leader he had an amazing ability to “Rally the troops” like no other. You could make the argument that without Jobs that apple wouldn’t exist, and you would be right, but then you’d have to make the sub-point that without Wozniak it would have been equally as doomed.

None of this was written in a sarcastic tone, just saying that since I come off as aggressive sometimes / all of the time.

As far as the quality, I don’t know about the quality. I would love to see a side by side comparison of all the things I see people tout about the products though.

I’ve seen, better for:

• Programming
  • Video Editing
  • Photo Editing
  • Rendering - All Aspects

and those are just on the top of my head.

Why is it a better product for those things?
The software?
The ease of use for the software?
The hardware completing those tasks faster and without error?

All the reports that I have read on the hardware side said that it was a marginal win / loss for each but that was years ago and I feel that it is out-dated as per today’s hardware.

Has the hardware far surpassed the competition in terms of a cost benefit?

Back on task:

I think you made your decision.

In terms of aesthetically pleasing, as said in the video, Beats has the market cornered.

In terms of function, beats is average / below average in some of their products.

You said studio headset so I assumed that you were looking for function over form.

not sure if that will assist or not.

I can’t find it, but I saw a comparison on audio frequencies for beats. They lost terribly. They just have a nice look, a big name, and cost a lot.

I gauge by which produce the sickest beats when plugged into my sound card.

Am I doing it right?

Here’s a great depiction of headphones to compare them against one another in a ton of categories.

Anything Sennheiser.

I’ve went through TONS of pairs of earphones and earbuds. (Through wear-and-tear while producing music + also in casual usage,) and I’ve had mine for going on two + a half years now.

Honestly I can’t imagine using anything else. They are so versatile for all of my professional + personal needs.