Savage Lands — Any thoughts?

http://www.savagelandsgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/sl_villagefight.jpg

I was bee-bopping around Steam, as usual, and this game was featured on the front page. It is currently 25% off with Early Access, which is usually hit or miss for me. Usually $20 bucks, it’s on sale right now for $15, and I was wondering if it would be worth purchasing.

Up until about five minutes ago, I had never heard of it. I’m doing some digging around the web to see what it’s all about, but I was curious as to what my Strats.co fam had heard about it. Here’s the website for those interested.

Thanks!
McKenzie

It looks really cool but this breaks it for me (emphasis mine):

Savage Lands is a gritty, brutal, first-person Open Fantasy World survival game.

In my opinion, fantasy and first person don’t play very well. Swinging a sword around doesn’t lend itself to awareness like looking down the sights of a gun. I always played Skyrim and ESO in 3rd person.

That is an understandable issue to have with a game. I have always enjoyed playing first person until I played ESO, and then I moved into playing 3rd person so random beasties couldn’t sneak up on me. I am wondering if maybe they will add an option in the future? I think I may watch some of their old streams in order to get a better feel for the game. The gritty, dark environment definitely nods towards Skyrim for sure.

When playing Skyrim, I generally travel and explore in 3rd person but as soon as I get into battle I go 1st person.

Now ESO, I am almost always in 3rd person.

a friend of mine was just talking about this yesterday, he seems excited about it. I heard of it a while back as it came up as suggested title on steam after buying H1Z1, but i’m just hesitant on the whole “early access” thing right now. i’ve done it more times than i care to admit…and i feel like it’s just giving game developers an excuse to just not ever finish a game. i don’t like how the whole gaming industry is heading in either that direction or the DLC (or both)…but those are topics for another thread.

I think I may bite the bullet and give it a whirl! I was watching some gameplay videos and it looks pretty interesting.