Server Backups and Maintenance Schedule

minecraft
pc

##When:
Server backups will occur daily around 0100 CST/CDT (the Chicago line on this chart for those who don’t want to do the math) and should only take a few minutes. I prefer to do these manually rather than use an automated system. An announcement will go out on Mumble and the server warning users in advance of the server coming down.

Server Maintenance will occur around 0100 CST/CDT (the Chicago line on this chart for those who don’t want to do the math) on Thursday night/Friday morning and could take upwards of 30 minutes, depending. I’ll use this time to make routine adjustments to configuration settings and add/remove plugins as needed; if there’s nothing pressing to handle the server will be back up much faster. Again, an announcement will go out on Mumble and the server warning users in advance of the server coming down.

If need be, I will bring the server down to fix things based on how critical the situation is. I will always give a warning on Mumble and through server messages before it is brought down to give everyone a few minutes to get somewhere safe and find a stopping point in their gameplay. Cheers for your understanding; I’ll see y’all in game :wink:

@Auth is there a reason you prefer to do the backups manually?

For this, the manual backups allow me to .zip whatever files I want and download them so I can keep a local archive as well just in case the unthinkable happens.

You constantly change the files going into your backups?

EDIT: Sorry i mean the files you choose to backup.

For example you have 10 files and you only want files 1 and 2 this time but you want files 2 and 3 next time then 2 and 7…ect.

The automatic backup is literally the whole file structure, so it’s either all or the specific ones I want; guess which one I’d prefer :wink:

That is odd, the one that I had was just the world. Not the entire server.

The other advantage is restarting the server on a schedule each day to clear any issues that might be going on like tons of cows spawned somewhere, etc.

By Automatic Backup you mean the Minecraft server’s own feature or something else? I’m looking at it from the shell script + crontab perspective. If you have the list of cherry-picked files you’re backing up everyday, it would be trivial to write a shell script to run periodically and automatically (using crontab).

I apologize in advanced if I’m missing something. (I haven’t installed Minecraft on a server before)

Also, is this a Linux server? (I should have started with that question :-p)

I believe we’re dealing with a Windows server (95% sure, haven’t gone through the proper FTP to confirm; I’m just using the web-based one they provide and haven’t needed to use CyberDuck yet with this company). The big problem is I need to bring the server down to do a good backup without risking a corrupt file, which I’m not sure I could automate through their web-based UI.

Oh man! Yeah. Dealing with Microsoft servers is like when a stranger hands you a syringe and tells you: here, inject this. :-/

Well, if that ever changes and you guys are running Minecraft on a bona fide operating system, let me know and I’ll help you automate the hell out of it! :-)

I moved a post to an existing topic: Server Issues and Technical Assistance

Heads up, due to extenuating circumstances, last night’s maintenance has been rescheduled for tonight; the server will be coming down for a bit at 0300 EST; thanks for your understanding.

Server is officially down for maintenance, here’s to not breaking it again this week :wink:

Edit:
Server is back up and nothing broke :dickbutt:

:goat: Awesome!

also, minecraft needs goats.