Shadows of Mordor first impressions

I’ve put a couple of hours in so far and am enjoying the game play quite a bit. It’s a mix of Assassins Creed and Arkham City while maybe not handling the parkour and combat elements quite as well, they both work well and are fun. I’m not very far into the story yet, but so far it’s good. The voice acting is well done and the cutscenes do a good job of pulling you into the story. There is a reasonably robust upgrade system for both skills and weapons. You unlock rune slots as you progress and then get runes from killing enemy Captains. Those Captains will also become more powerful if they kill you, even regular grunts will get promoted for killing you.

Overall I think this game is well worth picking up if you are a fan of the series or just like open world, story driven games.

I’d love to see a youtube video from a strats member. I heard about the game but only passively.

i may stream it tonight from my xbox one.

I only played an hour or two but I loved it.

It’s the power struggles, and they way that enemy characters develop that make this game.

i played about 4 1/2 hours last night. definitely loving it. it’s very reminiscent of the Arkham games, but that’s a very good thing. like biggles said, there’s also some AC thrown in there. But the “nemesis system”, as i’ve heard it called, seems very interesting. You can kill captains and gain power and i haven’t gotten too far into it so far. but i did a browse through the possible achievements last night. and apparently, you can dominate these leaders instead of killing them, and get them to do your bidding. you can influence them the fight other camps, etc. seems interesting, i’ll have to get more into that tonight. i’ve also read that once you get into the second and third tier of skills, the game really starts opening up. i still haven’t done that yet. i was too busy trying to find random artifacts and trying to complete each zone as i went along. tonight i’ll make a push for tier 2 and 3. i have a bunch of ability points saved up waiting for the tier to unlock.

Thanks for posting this! Love hearing first impressions from members here rather than… Angryjoe or something.

The nemesis system is turning out to be a pretty neat idea. It’s even had a revenge target pop up from a captain killing another player. The different strengths and weaknesses of each captain add some variety in how you have to approach each target. I need to hurry up and get the mind control power unlocked so I can send them on assassination missions.

YES! that’s what I’m waiting for. Or even being able to sneak around an get a few archers ready to rain arrows down once the fighting starts.