At this point I find it impossible to think anyone stateside (or otherwise, honestly) has not heard about what’s going on in Texas. Houston has been getting straight shit on, and while @PreshusKitty and I are fortunate enough to be high and dry, a whole lot of people aren’t. I just wanted to throw out some of the awesome things various businesses, community groups, and individuals are doing in the area to help those who need it; hopefully this lifts a few spirits since it feels like nothing but doom and gloom on the news. I’ll continue to update this list as I find more awesome folks being awesome.
- HEB mobilized and established disaster relief in Victoria, TX
- Gallery Furniture (local business that’s been in Houston for decades) opened up its store as a shelter
- Bass Pro Shops is donating 80+ boats to search and rescue efforts
- Volunteer group from Louisiana called the Cajun Navy has been assisting with rescues
- When they had to drain some of our reservoirs to keep the dams from breaking (causing more flooding downstream), a redditor offered to take in people’s pets if they couldn’t evacuate with them
- People working together to rescue bats living under a bridge from flood waters
- JJ Watt organizing fundraising while stuck in Dallas, TX