Sony Sold Sony Online Entertainment!

SOE games likely to come to XBox and other consoles! PS2 on XBL?

Well, that was unexpected.

Considering all the infosec troubles they have, it’s a big fat target for PII. I think they are cutting their profile down a bit after a few bad hacks and dataloss incidents.

Wow, that is pretty big news.

This is craziness I hope this ends up becoming a good thing, but I have to worry about development for Everquest Next, and PS2.

I have high hopes for this. Looking forward to see how they push their products now

I feel like this is a giant anomaly. “Sony Online Entertainment to not be Sony specific anymore.”

…what?

Don’t get me wrong; I’d love for the “console wars” crap to be over with, but this seems a little ridiculous. Competition is what keeps the companies striving for newer and better. Without competition, the waters will end up being very, very stagnant.

This isn’t the end of Sony exclusive games. SOE was in reality a very small portion of the development for Sony exclusives.

Here’s a list of games they developed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company#Games

Yeah, I mean I understand that. It’s still an interesting move all together. That would be similar to Nintendo selling off Star Fox to a different company. It’s not a huge selection, but it’s still pretty well known. This is their entire branch of MMOs, it seems, and it looks like Sony doesn’t want any part of that branch anymore.

I’m really curious to know what the thought process is behind it. Is Sony cutting losses, or do they feel they don’t have the resources to dedicate to that branch with other things currently in the air?