Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dies at age 52 in Detroit

I posted this because I know some of you are about my age and lived the whole “grunge” era. I’m still stuck in that era and never stopped loving the music that came out of Seattle during the 90’s. I especially was a huge fan of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, both of which are without their original frontmen now.

I also posted this because it’s a way for me to cope. It’s not 100% clear why he died, but it does appear to be suicide. I’ve dealt with suicide in my life way more than anyone should have to, and I’m kind of sick of it. It fucking hurts. It hurts everyone around the person that decides there’s nothing else to live for. In this case, it hurts millions because he was so talented and well-known.

i’m sorry i just needed to vent a little. i personally know 5 people that have committed suicide. it fucking sucks so bad. a friend of mine, who’s father committed suicide a few years ago, got involved with a charity to help prevent suicide. I’ve decided to join her and do what I can to help.

https://afsp.org/

Also, the national Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

What're you jamming right now?

Thanks for this topic and discussion, friend, especially on the tail of end of what sounds like considerable pain. As someone who suffers from bipolar disorder, it’s kind to see someone respond to this with proactive assistance.

I had no idea he was in another band after Soundgarden.

Thanks for sharing @dontcallmejames
Its a real issue for our middle age group, only total heart disease and cancer related deaths are higher. I’ve had 2 relatives/friends commit suicide in past 6 months alone and been struggling with major depression myself for nearly a decade. My main advice is keep connected with friends and or family, and know that its ok to struggle with identity and roles during this time. Between changing careers, no longer being a full-time dad and going through divorce, its easy to get lost and be self-critical, but its ok and we can find our way eventually.

I woke up to this today and am deeply saddened…i have nothing but awesome memories from Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the dog…its a sad day in Rock and Roll land. Thanks for the post @dontcallmejames and thank you for the help you provide others.

i’m going to rez this thread because we lost another one yesterday. RIP Chester Bennington.

For those that are unfamiliar with him, he’s the singer of the band Linkin Park and has recently been touring as the frontman of Stone Temple Pilots. He also recently sang “Allelujah” at Chris Cornell’s funeral (the subject of this original post). He was very good friends with Chris and killed himself in the exact same way, by hanging.

He was another one of the voices that i’ve been listening to for almost a couple decades at this point. And I’m terribly sad again.

Please reread the OP and if you know anyone who’s even remotely depressed or suicidal, please, step in and use the link or phone number above.

Edit: i just wanted to get a little more off the chest. He was my age (41) and left behind a beautiful wife and 6 kids. His age and the fact that there are young kids that will group up without a daddy is devastating.

I believe I read this happened on Cornell’s birthday. Is that true?

So ridiculously sad to leave behind so much. Very unfortunate that neither of them could get help. Sometimes it’s a losing game of finding the right thing that works for you at the right time. It’s worth trying but it so hard for many people. Sucks.

I think he died yesterday and Cornells bday is today. But I’m not sure.